The exterior of the Cruze Hatchback evokes movement and kinetic energy. The main design cues which underscore this impression are the fast roofline, the slightly swept, concave shoulder line as well as the headlamps with their pointed, arrow-like housings. The hatchback’s proportions, its short front and rear overhangs, and body sides which slope inward when viewed in profile, all reinforce the car’s grounded, secure stance.
“It is the speedy, sporty profile and the wide, confident stance that distinguishes the Cruze Hatchback from many of its more static contemporaries. We were fortunate to have a great proportion from the Cruze saloon to work with”, says Martin Love, Chevrolet Cruze design manager.
Like the Cruze Saloon, the hatch has an assertive front appearance created by the horizontally separated radiator grille and the headlamps’ twin halogen bulbs. Moving to the rear, the roof-mounted spoiler and a subtle crease in the pillar which runs to the base of the rear screen reinforce the visual expression of speed. The tail light cluster shows attention to detail and contributes to the upmarket appearance of the Cruze.
Inside, the Cruze is characterised by a flowing cabin arrangement, and by copious amounts of space and great versatility. In reference to executions seen in the iconic Chevrolet Corvette sports car, the Cruze features a dual cockpit layout. It is separated by the integrated centre stack which flows into the centre console. In conjunction with the mid-instrument panel, made of fabric or technical grained protein vinyl, and the LED-backlit instrument cluster, these elements add to the feeling of relaxed comfort.
Luggage capacity is 413 litres with the seats up and rear passengers enjoy 974 mm of headroom. Folding the rear seats forward in a 60/40 split increases the cargo volume to 883 litres. Various storage spaces in the two-tier glove box, the centre console and door pockets, as well as the seatback pockets can be used to stow away a wide array of everyday items, such as books, CDs and small laptops.
Other technology and comfort features include:
- A full-feature driver information centre that is now standard with all trims
- A Radio/CD system, MP3 playback functionality and radio digital signal; up to six loudspeakers
- A two or four-colour infotainment display (depending on trim level)
- USB jack located in the centre console storage on LT and LTZ specifications, for MP3 or iPod connectivity
- Manually-controlled air conditioning with particulate filter on the LS model; automatic climate control on all other specifications, plus automatic air recirculation and an air moisture sensor on LTZ models