FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Chevrolet Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Chevrolet Forum, we have forums for each Chevrolet Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Mettalic vibration on accelerating on auto box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Snowflake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mettalic vibration on accelerating on auto box
    Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:32pm
Sorry to ask another question so soon after first newbie one.  Today the particle filter light came on so I gave the car a good high rev run as required.  Now each time I move off from starting I can hear a metallic type vibration for just a second or two.  It also can occur when accelerating from slow speed . Any thoughts again would be appreciated.
Snowflake
Chevrolet Captiva LTZ 2010 83300 Miles Automatic. Full service history
Sponsored Links

Aussie Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 5:52pm
Can you narrow down an area the sound comes from ie wheel area, under the vehicle, engine bay, etc.
Your post doesnt identify the vehicle year/variant/auto/manual/mileage/service history. Bit more info would help. I'm not convinced that the metallic rattle has any direct reference to the DPF but... it is just possible that the heat may have loosened a bolt or distorted a bracket. Guess work really.

Tip: if you put your vehicle details in your footer (signature box on sign up) they will automatically appear under your posts for readers to identify.  
Captiva Series II Auto diesel 2.2 litre LTZ White Pearl 61 plate 2012. Full Service history. 28,0000 miles as at Dec 2017
Snowflake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 7:27pm
Hi Aussie Ed
Thanks for your reply.  I parked my car in the driveway for the rest of the day and then went to collect SWMBO and the problem had gone.  I imagine that the particulate filter had expanded due to the heat generated and was probably touching some part of the internal bit.  It had chance to cool off and so disappeared.. 
How do I put my vehicle details in the footer as you suggest as all this is new to me  
Snowflake
Snowflake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:07pm
Hi Aussie Ed
Once again I am a bit confused with my new membership abilities ( it is probably an age problem).  I think I have found the way to add my vehicle details so I am sorry to have bothered you. 
I have never been a member of a vehicle owners club before I think this will be quite fun as I am so initially impressed with this amazing Captiva.  Why did it not sweep the market as it has so many advanced and luxurious features.
I hope I have bought a really good one and pray that I don't end up moaning to every member in the future for help with problems as I would hate to be disappointed. 
Snowflake
Kev82chev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev82chev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 9:10pm
I wonder if it's an exhaust heat shield that's come loose and rattling at certain vibrations during acceleration or easing off throttle?
Incidentally, I have an Orlando with the 2.0L 138bhp Diesel engine (manual) had it several months now, great tow car! I add Millers Eclipse diesel additive every fill up (1ml per litre) and the DPF has not been doing as many re-gens (idle rpm higher and cooling fans running) and avoid supermarket fuel in these engines.
Also there are a lot of people on here having bother with auto gear boxes!
2007 Lacetti 1.6 estate
2012 Orlando 2.0 vcdi LT
Aussie Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 9:28pm
Snowflake (Kevin),  You have entered the details in your footer just fine. This will help you and avoid having to repeat it every time you post.  Dont worry about 'age' - we are not far apart!
Your Series 1 model and the subsequent slightly remodelled Series 2 are both pretty robust vehicles with good capabilities at a good price. It probably would have sold many more but unfortunately Chevrolet's UK inroads were affected by the 'recession' and sales targets were insufficient and Chevrolet decided to withdraw from active UK sales.  

Captiva Series II Auto diesel 2.2 litre LTZ White Pearl 61 plate 2012. Full Service history. 28,0000 miles as at Dec 2017
Aussie Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 9:40pm
Kev82,  You've raised a possible valid cause. Just wait and see if Snowflake reports any reoccurance.
You and I both use Millers Eclipse which is a good way of increasing the cetane level of the diesel which may well improve the 'burn' of the fuel and thus create less particulates for the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) to deal with. (but not eradicate the need for DPF burn offs completely).  

Snowflake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 12:35pm
Kev82. I have had no further instances of hearing this slight vibration until yesterday.  I did a trip of 47 miles to Chester with no problem.  On returning I was about 35 miles into the return journey when I was held up in traffic and had to stop for a while.  On moving off the same noise occurred so I am a bit baffled by the the intermittent nature of the noise. I will have the exhaust looked at as your suggestion seems quite a feasible explanation. Thanks for your advice.
My Millers additive arrived this morning and so I will be adding it later and looking forward to improved results.
Snowflake
spyder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 2:13pm
A damaged flexi section would also rattle and cause a problem with the EGR..

Captiva 2010 Series 1 2.0 VCDI LT

Kev82chev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev82chev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 5:23pm
I've kept an old redex bottle, which I fill with the right amount for my tank (60 litres, so I measure 60ml) then just pour that in before every refuel.
I never noticed any improvement in terms of performance, but the engine definitely isn't doing as many DPF regenerations, so it's burning the fuel more cleanly.
2007 Lacetti 1.6 estate
2012 Orlando 2.0 vcdi LT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic