FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Chevrolet Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Chevrolet Forum, we have forums for each Chevrolet Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

New to site..... door mirror needed!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jolie78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolie78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to site..... door mirror needed!!
    Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 3:03pm
I have a Captiva (2011 but new shape) - it’s failed it’s MOT today on the LED indicator not working on the near side door mirror...... a dealer wants £145 just for the LED light strip but as the door mirror doesn’t fold or unfold properly anymore I thought it would be easier and more cost effective to get a second hand mirror - any advice as spent hours online To no avail.......I also searched for the light unit on its on but all the ones on eBay etc say “not suitable for right hand drive”?!?!?!
Sponsored Links

A-Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 5:13pm
There are a lot of them on ebay.
Chevrolet Captiva 3.2 2007
Aussie Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by A-Man A-Man wrote:

There are a lot of them on ebay.

Caution.....    The web offerings DO NOT fit the UK Series2 nearside.   There are two lengths, the UK model needs the longer one. I know - have a useless eBay one sitting in my garage - too short. 
Bought correct length eventually while on holiday in Australia. 

Other option is to register with online breakers Yards in hope that one becomes available.

Captiva Series II Auto diesel 2.2 litre LTZ White Pearl 61 plate 2012. Full Service history. 28,0000 miles as at Dec 2017
A-Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 10:56pm
So a mirror for holden Captiva won't fit?
I asume the uk model is longer on right side, since thats where the steering wheel is.
Its common that mirrors are larger on driver side, wish includes the turn signal indicator.

I got a right mirror marked RH of ebay poor quality do.

Edited by A-Man - 13 Oct 2017 at 10:57pm
Aussie Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 8:28am
I think we are getting confused here.
The UK 2012 Captiva has a longer indicator strip on both sides - not just the drivers side.
The Holden Captiva mirror will probably fit as will (probably) the entire housing, but I was referring to the indicator portion and not the mirror or the housing.
So I think future entries need to be specific as to whether discussing just the indicator strip, the mirror or the entire housing.

Update: The 2012 Series2 indicator strip is 274mm long measured around the curve.  The 'continental' eBay one is only 252mm (approx) therefore be very cautious and verify the size of the on-line offerings before purchasing. 

Afterthought: if all the lamps in the strip are not illuminated it might simply be the weather has got behind the mirror and you have a corroded connector. Take the mirror out (carefully) and check the connector. There may not be a need a purchase a replacement at all !!!

Might also be useful to cross refer to the 'Electric Side Mirrors' post which is currently running in parallel.

Edited by Aussie Ed - 14 Oct 2017 at 2:35pm
Captiva Series II Auto diesel 2.2 litre LTZ White Pearl 61 plate 2012. Full Service history. 28,0000 miles as at Dec 2017
A-Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 7:19pm

“not suitable for right hand drive”?!?!?!

You stated the above, but if you drive on the left the indicator not suitable for left hand drive should fit your car, correct me if im wrong.

I ordered this one of ebay, since i drive on the right side of the road.
And it states (ONLY Suitable for the vehicle which Driver Side is on the Left!)

I think i made a mistake, i interpret it as driver on left that they mean the steering wheel, since its on the left side of my car.
RH is printed on the back side of indicator, if it means that its for the right side of car its correct, or right hand drive, like for the uk model i dont know.
Since its a Chinese supplier its not that clear.
It would be more clear it they stated it as suitable for LHT or RHT.

Its for the right side of the car thats for sure.

Pictures are to large i will add them later if its of any interest.

A-Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 10:22am
I found equal pictures on another ebay item, don't know if measurements are the same for the one i ordered.
On the back side side you can se RH printed, can we assume that its means that  its meant for a right hand drive car or, does it state RH as in right side of the car i don't know.

Maybe i ordered i turn signal indicator for the uk module?
I also discovered on thing, many of the other items has no cable most likely because the connector should me connected to the mirror, the one i order has a cable vi connector attached to it.
The cable is soldered directly to the board and there is nothing else holding the cable, no pull reliefand no sealant so moist will enter the turn signal housing, i will put some silicone and seal the cable.
The product is very cheap and the casting is not 100% its very sharp around the edges.

A-Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 6:03pm
You state that the mirror does not fold and unfold correctly, does it only work half way?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic