FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Chevrolet Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Chevrolet Forum, we have forums for each Chevrolet Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Spark observations.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Little John View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spark observations.
    Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 4:06pm
I purchased my 2010 Spark+ early December with just over 5,000 on the clock.
After sorting out the washers and fitting a real spare wheel during the first month I have covered some 500 miles so far.
Mpg so far is 38 when "running around" and 44 on a motorway run with 4 people on board. Is this about the norm for fuel consumption ?
   For a cheap car it is not as"tinny" as I thought it would be. I'm impressed.
I read some reviews of earlier model and body roll was noted. My model seems very stable around country roads when compared with my Lupo after upping tire pressure a bit. Gear change seems a bit "notchy"but I hope it will improve with use. Engine is very quiet when idling and only intrusive when wound up. The rev limiter cuts in suddenly but I have become used to changing gear a bit sooner! Max torque is about 5,000 revs so that saves the "jerk". Boot space is good for a small car, as is the turning circle.
Brakes are good but touch sensitive!
Just fitted some Lidl seat covers sucessfully but rear seat back covers are not fitted as the headrest holes foul the zips.

In the 2 months that I have owned it I have only seen one other on the road!
There don't seem to be many spark posts on this forum. How many did they sell in the UK ?

MOANS.
The speedo is too "busy" with too many useless graduations so you can't decipher it easily.
On my model you can only open the boot with the key, which can be a pain.
No spare wheel (sorted)
No reversing sensors, (soon to be sorted when the weather gets a bit warmer).
Rear side windows tend to steam up a bit.

Edited by Little John - 26 Jan 2017 at 4:07pm
2010 Spark+ now with proper spare wheel!
Sponsored Links

Metro1000 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metro1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 6:20pm
Little John,
 You don't say if you have a 1.0 or a 1.2 litre model. "Honest John's" real MPG figures are 48.1 for the 1.0 and 45.9 for the 1.2 so you can compare with that. 

For comparison, my Aveo 1.2 has covered 50,000 miles in the last 20 months (total of 74,000) and has averaged almost exactly 38 mpg running on LPG, which would be 43.7 MPG on petrol. My routes are mainly inter urban 50-60MPH however last week I went to Edinburgh and back, 620 miles and got 33 MPG (38 MPG petrol), but I wasn't hanging about. I generally run with me only, and a near empty petrol tank, but on that last run I had 6 car wheels in the back and a pile of other bits.

I've had a couple of Sparks as service loan cars (but not recently) and didn't think it Tinny, but like you I did not really like the motorcycle style instruments. 

Howmanyleft suggests that there are about 19,000 Sparks in the UK.

Reversing sensors? Cheap and easy to fit now, but I have a cheap camera, which is crazy really 'cos the Aveo is only little.

Hopefully the Spark will be as reliable as the Aveo, 74K with routine services and tyres only, brake pads at 67k, and no defects. 
2011 (made 09) 1.2S A/C "Poverty+" Model.LPG converted 2015. 38MPG@49.9p/ltr=6p/mile.
Buster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 6:31pm
Hi Little John,
I am new to this forum and just reading through some of the messages.
I noticed that you said that you put seat covers on.  Just a thought but wont these cover the side  airbags in the seats and potentially mess around and restrict the deploying of the airbag if required?
Please could you let me know.
Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 2:25pm
Hi Buster, I bought them from Lidl's for £15.00. They are German made and compatible with airbags as long as you fit them on the correct side! The rear seat back cannot be fitted due to zips fouling where the head rests go but the fit well with a bit of care and look good.
Buster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 6:22pm
Hi Little John,
That's fantastic advice thankyou.
Dont suppose you can help me with my spare tyre issue, not confident about the sealant in the event of a puncture and have also heard that it renders the tyre for any fixing etc ?
Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 8:13pm
Hi Newbie, I didn't like the idea of having to the nearest tyre co. after getting a flat. My daughter's Peugeot had to have a new tyre as they said that it couldn't be repaired after being inflated with the gunge! So I bought a s/hand spare wheel and tyre from a breaker for £50 and covered it over in the boot with a thin piece of ply. I don't carry a jack as I have breakdown cover, and they can change it! Now if I get a puncture I can carry on where I was going.

Edited by Little John - 19 Feb 2017 at 8:15pm
Buster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 9:20pm
Hi Little John,
Thanks for your help.
Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic