FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Chevrolet Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Chevrolet Forum, we have forums for each Chevrolet Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Starter motor/cable recall update.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Aussie Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Not Happy Paul Not Happy Paul wrote:

Chevrolet uk records show the cable to be changed but I have been informed by the garage that carried out the work that it was not changed. 

?? Something wrong with GM Chevrolet records or did a previous garage say (report to Chevrolet) that they had undertaken the recall work when in fact they hadnt??
Or did the replacement burn out as well ?    I'm beginning to become confused, but clearly something went very wrong.

Captiva Series II Auto diesel 2.2 litre LTZ White Pearl 61 plate 2012. Full Service history. 30,0000 miles as at June 2018
Sponsored Links

Not Happy Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Not Happy Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 7:26pm
That is one of the questions I have asked time and time again Aussie ED and no answer has been given. There are in-discrepancies between Chevrolet UK and Lookers Liverpool records. Lookers Liverpool told me over the phone that they did not change the cable but Chevrolet UK say it has been changed?????

With regards to the cable it looks like the original cable. The first time the starter motor failed the cable couldn't have appeared that damages as it was noticed straight away the second time, plus when we touched the cable after the engine had been running it was excessicley hot. The replacement cable is a different design to the one that was removed. 

I have had no luck the ombudsmen either. They basically deal with warranty disagreements etc. I will look into VOSA to see what they can do for me. 

wish i never bought a chevvy. Captiva 2.2 ltz 2012
Aussie Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 10:30pm
NHP,   refer also to the info I have posted today under the entry 'Starter Motor Failure'.
Here I have provided the Vin numbers of vehicles affected.

Captiva Series II Auto diesel 2.2 litre LTZ White Pearl 61 plate 2012. Full Service history. 30,0000 miles as at June 2018
Lord Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 6:07am
Well chaps thought I would give you a update since my fist post 2 weeks ago.
Got the car back from the garage on Saturday morning 3rd March used it over the weekend couple of times.
Monday evening I started it up and admiring how good she looks all clean when I noticed smoke coming from the grill.
I opened the bonnet and caught it in time before any major damage.
So back to the garage for another starter motor.
Then the guy fitted it and he watched it burn out in front of him.
I told him about the wire and recall he is now looking into if it affects my car 2.2 ltz auto.
But still no car and I wanted to see how well she done in the snow.
I have spoken to Vauxhall Wimbledon who is my nearest chevy dealer they say there are no notes on the system for a recall or at any thing to do with the starter ?
Aussie Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 8:56pm
LN, the recall was made on the 23.01.2017 concerning the starter motor & cable under recall reference R/2016/263 and affects vehicles produced between 01.11.2013 to 10.06.2015
If you open this link you will find the vin nos affected :-  https://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/search.asp   
It would not surprise me one bit that vehicles outside of this criteria are also affected.

You have not added your vehicle details to your footer which would help - especially to know the year variant.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 7:10am
I am going to call Vauxhall again today with the new info thank you Aussie Ed
63 plate
Aussie Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 8:59am
LN,   The recall says it is applicable to Stop/start models. If yours is not a stop/start model dont be fobbed off that it doesnt apply to your model.   I am convinced this is a generic build problem that extends beyond just those models.
My 2012 model had the recall work done and mine is not a stop/start variant.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 12:57pm
Just spoke to Vauxhall they said it was fixed when it was serviced, I am not convinced as Vauxhall endenbridge don't fill with confidence. Been told to call chevrolet UK is still faulty as their records show it as job closed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic