FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Chevrolet Owners Club Forums!

If you're new here, please introduce yourself in the Newbies Chevrolet Forum, we have forums for each Chevrolet Model so please make sure you post in the correct forum.

Vibration from rear under acceleration.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pegasusturbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pegasusturbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vibration from rear under acceleration.
    Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 10:04pm
So ive started to get a vibration noise from the rear when accelerating. Doesn't happen under cruise control. Reading on the forum it is likely the propshaft carrier bearing. Had a look this evening no obvious signs of wear but it's seen between days. 97600 on the clock. Long an easier which job to do.

Any other ideas for rear vibration under load?
2007 LTX 7 seat auto.
Sponsored Links

Aussie Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 3:16am
Rule these out first.
Check rear wheel bearings and also that wheel(s) are centering on the boss correctly.
Wheel balance check.
Tyre damage  check (internally if not visible externally).
Body /wheel Alignment check.

Captiva Series II Auto diesel 2.2 litre LTZ White Pearl 61 plate 2012. Full Service history. 28,0000 miles as at Dec 2017

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pegasusturbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 8:09pm
Thks for the heads up will give it a go.
2007 LTX 7 seat auto.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pegasusturbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 2:55pm
I checked all the items on the list. No movement in bearings. No loss of weights on wheels. No obvious play in anything except the box. When moving the prop there is no obvious play in u joint or rubbers. I found a site for transmission noises.
http://www.onallcylinders.com/2012/03/30/quick-guide-to-diagnosing-differential-driveline-noises/
Following the guide to me it's
Noise: Banging or heavy clicking every two to three feet during acceleration.
Cause: High spot or heavy chip on pinion gear tooth

Drive from cold for 10 minutes then banging noise from rear sounds like driveshafts/rear transmission. Seems to be coming from nearside. Starts banging from starting off pounced warned up.

However, when I accelerate using cruise control no noise at all. So the transmission must be fine, because any mechanical issues with the pinion would show up whether under manual or cruise.

Opinions?

Edited by Pegasusturbo - 21 Apr 2018 at 3:18pm
2007 LTX 7 seat auto.
spyder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 6:07pm
Try acceleration very slowly in the correct gear, ie not labouring or over revving and see if the notice is still there. Whether your foot or cruise is accelerating the components working are still the same. 

A worn or damaged part, especially a CV joint will only clunk when the  drive is erratic and not constant.
Captiva 2010 Series 1 2.0 VCDI LT

Victor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 7:34pm
I quite agree with what Spyder says but I'd also add that I don't think it's anything to do with a high spot or chip on one of the teeth on the rear axle pinion. The Captiva doesn't have full time rear wheel drive, it's an "On-Demand" system. The transfer box is permanaently engaged and the rear propshaft turns all the time but it's only when the electronic clutch on the diff pinion is activated - by the traction control / vehicle electronic stability control system - that you get rear wheel drive

At your mileage I wouldn't be surprised if it was the centre bearing on the propshaft, they're very hard to diagnose on the vehicle because they're supported in a rubber housing. Once you get them off and dismantle them the wear becomes more apparent. I wouldn't be surprised if the UJ's on the proshaft were worn too, especially if this vehicle has been used for towing..
2015 Antara 2.2 Manual 6 spd box

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pegasusturbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 9:26pm
I must admit I'm not convinced it's the diff, but the carrier seems ok. I've got one here. So I think I'm going to strip the prop tomorrow and have a closer look. Swapping the carrier looks easy enough.
2007 LTX 7 seat auto.
spyder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 10:29pm
Mark both sides and assemble it in the same position that it came off, front and rear couplings that is. 
Captiva 2010 Series 1 2.0 VCDI LT

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic