Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was a teenager the coolest tech you could have in your car was a CD player""”and these things skipped half the time.Back to a couple of years ago, the coolest tech you could have in your car was a CD player.Nowadays, of course, things are different. Many cars come with Android car radio that you can connect your smartphone. These android head unit allow you not only to play your music from your smartphone, but also install other application for news, maps, media, movies, and even games.For a lot of people, those running cars that are eight or more years old, things like native Bluetooth is not optional.Fortunately, almost all of the car has the one-din or double-din standard for the head unit.The car-parts companies could provide the universal Android head unit for the cars according to the standard. So those who running the old cars could buy the suitable Android touchscreen units, and install in their cars by themselves(you can find the tutorial on the Internet).

·
Super Moderator
6,631 Posts
What have you fitted and was it trouble free and successful?

·
Registered
693 Posts
sounds like a salesman

·
Super Moderator
6,631 Posts
mdb said:
sounds like a salesman
MDB, That was my interpretation as well. I am fully expecting the reply to be the Marketing link!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Aside from the OP, I have fitted an android unit to my '10 model and it works very well. Bluetooth, maps, ipod and OBD reader.Fitted in place of the OEM radio, steering controls all worked plug and play.

It looks neat and works well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hello I'm a newbie on here as I just bought a 2010 4wd captiva 2 ltr ltz and just going through the forum to see what other ppl think about the captiva and what problems they're having.My sat nav is out of date and I see its a ball ache to update it The radio in the car is well in the dark ages really so was looking to update it to an android system. Could I be cheeky and ask for a picture of your set up in your car? thanks in advance Nomad71

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi spyder can I ask which android unit you purchased please? Also can anyone tell me if I was to buy the double din facia, will practically any double din unit fit?

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
6,631 Posts
If it helps, the connectors on the Series 2 Captiva Multimedia are as picture below which only has a single din socket (ie second in from left side).I have to stress that the Series 1 may have different connections.

Photo of Multimedia unit rear side connections as taken from 2012 Series 2 Captiva.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I will take a picture in a while. I must say mine came with allthe connections and then some it was very much plug and play, even the steering and aftermarket camera were just plugged into the unit. It does have the facility for a dash cam as well.

·
Super Moderator
6,631 Posts
Spyder, Your unit sounds just what Biggrizzd is after. As a matter of interest do you happen to know if the aperture on your Series 1 is the same as on a Series 2 Captiva. If it is then this might be the answer to several members woes.

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,631 Posts
Only observation I've got is their small print. Best that you double check with them first!<strong style="font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: large; text-align: -webkit-center;">
[/B]
<strong style="font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: large; text-align: -webkit-center;">Before purchasing this product, please ensure you do a full research into whether this will fit your cars radio space and also the canbus system will link up to provide steering wheel controls. Also, if you have amplified speakers in your car, you will need to modify wiring. Auto electrician will need to be sourced. If you are not sure, please email us for advice and furnish us with your year and model of car and we will confirm. Failure to do so may result in you being disappointed with a unit not fully compatible. Not all year of cars are compatible.[/B]

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hope these help. Also attached is the box that the unit came in. This is in a series 1 2010, so not sure about the dash size in the series 2. I am using the Syngic maps and so far work well with life time upgrades and photo lane images on the motorway. It also connects to my OBD11 reader on the move. I have fitted a wireless review camera, although I have never worked out how to pick up a reverse signal in the dash, so it is still manually switched.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Spyder, new to the forum and the captiva. Did yours already have the top screen? I'm looking for the same for mine but my 2010 ltx has the lcd that displays the aircon settings. Looking for some advice to change to a set up like yours. Any advice welcome

·
Registered
134 Posts
There are quite a few versions. I'm still looking into. I'm not in a rush but at some point I'll upgrade. I just can't decide what setup to go with and what works well with the standard climate control etc

I quite like this one. There is alot of choice. The thing I'm looking for is a later version of android and android auto connection not really mirror

·
Registered
4 Posts
That last one looks really nice would make it look a lot more modern. I'm just cautious as to whether they will work in my car as it's a 2010 series 1 ltx

1 - 20 of 41 Posts