Chevrolet Owners Club banner

18 inch Tyres

6K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  andyjones_98 
#1 ·
My Chevrolet Orlando went in for its first service at 10000 miles and needed new front tyres both worn the same, this size had to be ordered at not a regular size I was informed by kwik fit as this company I have to use as its a motability vehicle.

#2 ·
Get kwikfit to check the tracking?, but large heavy diesel engine over the front wheels never helps, as does this combination around town.I think i just about got 15000 on the epica, cruze (petrol all 4 tyres changes at 17000, but 3-4mm left on rears.I seem to remmber on another post that you were pleased with how well it accelerated, that doesn't help with tyre wear, but 18 inch wheels as standard, ouch, my 16" on the cruze are expensive enough!
Edited by: cruzetype

#5 ·
Kevin, New tyres at just 10,000 miles sounds horrific! Something might be wrong with tracking, pressures or something? I realise mine is a different model (Capiva) which is a bit larger/heavier but having recently checked my tyres and swapped fronts to rear, I have only used 1.5mm in 10,000 miles on 19" Hankook Optimo's - which possibly implies possibly 30K before replacement - really pleased.

#7 ·
I'm down to about 2mm after 18k..... but I think most of that is due to it being an auto, and me having a heavy right foot

New tyres in the next week or so, just need to decide if I'm going with winters (or not) and which brand/type....

Any recommendations?

#9 ·
Kevin, good news on the Michelins (can you give info which ones) and also what were the old ones so we know what to avoid!

#10 ·
Andy, if you go 'winters' remember you will have to buy an 'everyday' set once winter ends so could mean two lots of expense
Good 'all weathers' might be the answer or something like Coopers with deeper tread.
Just a thought

#11 ·
Been looking again last night, and think I've narrowed it down to Michelin Primacy 2's. A local tyre place is doing them for £160/each, plus a £40 fuel card if you buy 2, so bringing them down to £140/each.

Look to have the best all round stat's, fuel-efficiency & grip.

I'm a big fan of Avon's, and have found some for £121/each, but need to confirm if they are XL's. But they are only a 'E' rating for fuel-economy, compared to a 'B' for the Michelin's. When I'm doing ~18-20k a year, the extra £20 on the Michelin's might be worth it for the better mpg.

#12 ·
Spoke to another local tyre fitting place this morning, and after a bit of a discussion, I've opted for some Kumho KU39's (235/45/18 98Y) for £131/ea fully fitted. MPG rating - C, wet-grip rating - B, so look Ok.

I could have booked through BlackCircles, but saved £4/ea going direct to the fitting place. They get the full sale value then, not what's left after blackcircles take their cut!

Getting them fitted next Tuesday, so I'll report back on my thoughts.

#14 ·
Andy, Regularly recording wear sounds a good idea. Had you considered periodically swapping fronts to back? Question .... are the KU39's a 'directional tyre'?

#16 ·
Hi Andy, I had a look on-line and they dont appear top be 'directional' so it looks as if you could swap not only front<>back but cross swap also. They could also be removed and 'turned' on the rim, this uses the other edge of the tyre. In my experience the fronts particularly wear on the outer edge and many a tyre still has more life on the inside edge which is wasted. I notice that the 39's are listed as a 'summer tyre' so hope you dont get too much snow this coming winter!Used the train !! was this just to check that they are running again?

#18 ·
The majority of tyres sold and used in the UK as classified as 'summer' tyres. It's only the specific ones for snow/cold-weather that are classified as 'winter' tyres.

Using the train, keeps about 50miles/day off the car! I tend to get the train about 3-days a week, yet I've still done 19k in the last 12-months!

#19 ·
Hi Andy, the 39's are a directional tyre. I couldnt tell just from the small pic on-line but read up and they are asymmetrical so swapping front to back is okay on same side. Forget my previous comment about cross swapping as doesnt apply to this tyre.

#23 ·
Andy, Something sounds very wrong to only get 11K from them. Must be soft compound rubber. My 19" Hankooks (original equipment) have only used 2.5mm in 13K (leaving me 6+ mm). I swap mine round every 5K to even out the wear.

#25 ·
Even wear across the width on both front tyres.

I only got 19k out of the original Potenza's. I think it's more down to my driving style, and it being a 2.0 Auto...... I've got a bit of a digital right-foot.... it's either ON or OFF !!!! ;o)

I've been quoted £77/tyre by the local dealer for the same tyres, which is less than half what every-where else is charging. At that price, I'm not too bothered if I only get another 11k out of them, as they're a pretty good wet-grip tyre. 'B-rated'

#26 ·
Just had the Uniroyal Rainsport 3's I had fitted last year replaced, after about 19k..... replaced them with another set @ £96/each.

So, on average I'm roughly getting 18-19k out of a set of front tyres.

The Avon ZZ5's that are on the rear were replaced at the beginning of this year, replacing the original Potenza's after about 40k.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.