Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
has any body on here got the 20" alloy option on their captiva? how do they affect the ride? not sure how those tyres would be in the snow?? any comments/thoughts??

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm getting some put on in 1/2 hour.
Had 6 months of driving on the 18's so i'll be able to tell the difference as opposed to having them on right from the start and not knowing how it drives with 18's.

Got a 300 mile round trip this weekend so can let you know on monday.

Winter driving should be okay but summer driving should be improved as the 20's are road tyres not 4x4

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hey there,

I have them on my LTX. They came with the car so I cant compare them. The ride is a little firm and having such large wheels on a car that doesn't corner that well only adds to the issue. That said, if cornering was your concern you'd have bought a sports car.

Just watch out for the curbs. I'm going to have to get my alloys refurbished soon. Tyres are also expensive. For a mid range Bridgestone 245/40/20 your looking at £210 - £270 per tyre depending on where you go. Kwik fit are good and in store they will usually match the price given on the kwik fit website(which is usually cheaper than others such as blackcircles). They will also match blackcircles etc if they are cheaper.

If there is a particular brand you want that isn't offered on the web site they will source it for you and match a price.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
I can just see my wife's face..... just before she pushes me into the big hole and hits me with a shovel....

·
Registered
997 Posts
I predict they'll sell just after **** freezes over.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well after driving with them over the weekend I definatley prefer the ride and handling with them on. (But not for £2600 :-( I'd expect a set of 22" chrome spinners for that)Yes the ride is a little bit harder but there is still enough profile for it to comfortable. (no where near as hard as the ride on my MG ZT)
The handling is improved and it has gotten rid of the slightly woolly steering that I had.

The only issue that I had was that the ride was a little hard when we went but that was due to the tyre shop filling them upto 39PSi. reducing this to 33 PSi cured this but on way back averaged 1l/100miles more than when we went :-( need to find out the exact pressure required.

Black Smoke, what pressure do you keep yours at.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gents,
I must stress this is the retail price Im looking for £1200.00 +vatfor the set plus carriage which I think is a great price when you think how much one michelin tyre is in that size?? Im open to genuine offers.

John

·
Registered
652 Posts
Not sure if anyone is really looking to change the wheels on their Captiva. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

If so, do a search on eBay using "Captiva Tyres", you will see a few sites jumping on this bandwagon, with some company from Manchester giving a great deal replacement wheels. Ok, not 20" wheels, but 18" with 235 55 R18 tyres (new) fitted, at a far cheaper rate than the 20" listed earlier on the thread.

Also, by having the 18" you don't have to worry about "recoding your speedo". Which if you do, I believe you won't be able to put the 18" back on, unless you "recode the speedo" again.... what a palaver....

You could then get some flashy 18" alloys for the summer, making the Captiva look really sporty, and get winter tyres for the snow fitted to your existing wheels. That way, when you put them back on for the winter months and snow, your Captiva won't look too shoddy then either.

Or like me, you could just stick with what you have, and save your pennies for other luxury items, like...... Diesel

·
Registered
476 Posts
On the 16" 17" and 18" wheels the dynamic rolling radius is virtually the same, for example on the 235/55/18 compared to the 245/40/20 there is only a 5mm rolling radiusdifferencegiving a speed reading of about 1mph outat 70 mph which is less than 2%, and you are allowed to be out by 8%. The 20" rims look sporty butif you where to push a low profile 20" wheel to its limits I would suspect you would roll a top heavy captiva muchbefore then, [porsche cayenne they ain't]. what you do get ismore of a hoppy tyre because the walls are not very deep and cannot absorb the bumpsonour not so smoothroads.Also because of that the comfort value comes down from 9.1 to a 4.2between the18" to 20" wheels. Sporty looking yes practical no.!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
The wheels on offer have a fitment of 5 x 114.3 and not 5 x 115 that is required on the Captiva. proberbly one of the reasons there are so many styles on offer. Yes they may fit but it's a gamble you have to take as there will be additional stress on the nuts.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Nothing worse than stressed nuts....

·
Registered
997 Posts
intimidator said:
having no nuts!!!!!!!?
You have a point there Al!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Seriously (if I must!), I do like the look of some of the bigger wheels, although I'm not a big fan of the irmscher's, but I really like the 7 spoke 18" wheels on my LTX and the price of the 18" tyres is more than enough for me. As I pootle about at 60mph, I think I have enough rubber on the road and you can buy a **** of a lot of diesel (or 18" tyres, or mars bars etc) for £2600!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts