Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone can help ! Starts first time , no smoke , noises , temperature normal , two abs lights come on at the same time as loss of power . Leave for a few minutes , start up again , runs fine for a mile or a few miles and the same thing occurs . Had it code read but no codes registered ? thanks in anticipation Denis

·
Super Moderator
6,457 Posts
Welcome,
From your brief description my suspicion would be a defective ABS sensor or corroded connection. There could be reluctor ring failure due to corrosion on an older vehicle but the sensor and connections are first area of elimination. You say 'two' ABS lights - do you mean the ABS light and Stability Control? Loss of power means the vehicle is going into Limp Home (Self Protect Mode) because of these warnings.
Who carried out the diagnostics? Not all code readers will read GM 'deep codes'. By the vehicle going into Limp Home mode there will be some hidden codes. Make sure you get GM capable scanning.

As a Newbie there are some helpful Tips / Help on using the Forum here:- Helpful Guidance Using the Forum
Completing your Location and putting vehicle info in your Signature/Footer are two very helpful items.

The next Forum Tool you will find of considerable use is the Forum Back Index. This can be found by going to the three white dots in the black header bar (RH side) and select Advanced Search. You can then explore the dozens upon dozens of entries under the 'fault description' rather than the vehicle. ABS is very well documented.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help , i will get that checked out . I am a trader and this vehicle came from an auction and had been stood for a long time the brakes were well seized up so you could be right . I have noticed as well the engine will some times rev freely but under load struggles to reach 3000 revs , thanks again Denis

·
Super Moderator
6,457 Posts
Revving freely when vehicle is static is because wheels are not revolving therefore ABS sensing isnt being deployed. When under load on the highway the ABS would be operative (in theory) but a defective signal involving 'stability' would activate the power reduction for percieved safety reasons.
Start by testing the ABS sensors. There are posts on this topic via the Search Tool but as a trader I expect you are well capable of testing ABS sensors and cleaning connectors. If not the sensor(s) the next investigation is a possible split reluctor ring.
Let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help much appreciated , further complications ! started up yesterday as usual with first touch but then would not rev for a few minutes with no warning lights on the dash , then started to rev and back came on the ABS lights and limp mode , having great fun with this one , regards Denis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts