Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Chevrolet Captiva 2.0 VCDi 4WD
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm reaching you out because my wife has a 2008 Captiva VCDI 2.0 with almost 300.000km who began having a couple of weeks ago some difficulties to start the engine.
Basically the engine takes too long cranking (shaking more than what I think it's normal at the same time) and sometimes it doesn't even start because it takes longer than 5s trying, then I have to stop and try again. Sometimes on the 2nd try it starts right away without a problem but it also happens that I have to try a 3rd time. Sometimes even on the 1st try it starts without a problem.
Cold or hot weather/engine it doesn't matter from what I've checked so far.

I've a ODB2 portable scanner which allowed me to read some DTC codes.
At first time I thought it could be a bad crankshaft Position Sensor as I had that DTC active, so I decided to replace it because it's not a big deal doing it. Well I found out it was not a problem of that sensor because the problem remained.

Well yesterday I thought, why not starting checking the air filter and fuel filter? So I did it and found out they are in very bad shape, at least they look like they are so dirty. Should this causing some kind of clogging? Especially the fuel filter.

Another thing I did was checking the rail pressure live while trying to start the engine and it didn't go further from 12000psi. Is it enough? Might this be linked with the long starting problem?

Looking to get your help guys!
Many thanks in advance

Product Font Screenshot Gadget Software
Hood Grille Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Automotive tire Green Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Water
Rectangle Slope Font Plot Parallel

·
Registered
922 Posts
If I read your story right, the engine seems to run OK once it is startedI. It may be your battery is not strong enough and/or your starter motor is worn and consuming too much current. When you get these conditions the ECU gets varying voltage supply and rmultiple fault codes result which may not be valid. I've known people to swear blind their battery had been tested and was OK then pursue "problems" for weeks on end until finally they fit a new (and proper size) battery whereupon their problems disappear. If your starter is worn - as it may well be at this mileage - then you should fit a replacement.

·
Super Moderator
7,658 Posts
Potential possible causes. Rule these out first.

Battery (not enough cranking amps).
Fuel Filter restricting fuel flow.
Air filter restricting air flow.
Failed or failing Glow plugs.
Starter motor.
Corroded / poor earth strap (somewhere to chassis)

Earthwalker, As a new Forum Member the following link is helpful reading especially completing your Sign-Up World location and vehicle data sections which you overlooked and left 'blank'.

Reactions: earthwalkerpt

·
Registered
2008 Chevrolet Captiva 2.0 VCDi 4WD
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there Victor!

Indeed, once the engine starts it runs without any issue so far!
Well I thought it could be the battery yes but I measured the voltage with engine off and it's giving around 12.8V and 14.3V with engine running. Also the battery is a Tudor with 2 years old only.

So you think the starter might be giving up by now? Causing that long to no start?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,658 Posts
Earthwalker, Battery voltage is a repeatedly misunderstood response.
Starter motors and engines need AMPS .......... lots and lots of AMPS to crank a starter motor and engine.
Reading the voltage means nothing ! I can couple ten 1.5 volts AAA batteries together and achieve 15 volts but that will not crank a vehicle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts