Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
Newbie thinking about buying one of the new style Camaros, 2010 onwards, and I'm looking for help advice about buying one. I'm not sure whether it'll be the 3.4 or 6.0 atm.
Is there anything that I should be looking for, inherent faults (a characteristic of the model, as they like saying!)
What sort of MPG could I expect from either the six or eight cylinder motor?
Is there anything that I should be aware of at a certain mileage?
General stuff basically. As for me, I'm totally blind. I just know that I love the look of the motor, and I'd like one very much.
Many thanks in anticipation.

TD:cool:

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
Quick answer : As Chevrolet have pulled out of UK/Europe where are you going to get it serviced?
(Forum system is assuming you are UK although you didnt complete your World location in your your Sign-Up)
It will swallow fuel so your need to have a good bank account.
There are a few earlier posts in the Camaro Forum you can read but this model has very little activity on this Forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quick answer : As Chevrolet have pulled out of UK/Europe where are you going to get it serviced?
(Forum system is assuming you are UK although you didnt complete your World location in your your Sign-Up)
There are a few earlier posts in the Camaro Forum you can read but this model has very little activity on this Forum.
Hi Ed, thanks for getting back to me on this.
I used to have a 2500 Triumph, so I'm used to having a vehicle that is thirsty. But your idea of being thirsty may be different to mine, so that's why I was asking for figures, on both the 6 cylinder and the 8.
I really need as much info as I can get together for an informed opinion.
Cheers

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
Dude, There are insufficient numbers of members on this forum to probably be able to provide you with in depth info on the Fifth Generation Camaro.
You can of course explore sites like Auto-Data.net and several of the UK based owners American vehicle Forums .

·
Registered
820 Posts
I don’t know much about the Camaro, Dude, but a mate of mine had a ‘79 Pontiac Firebird Trans AM with the 400 cu in (6.6 litre) V8 engine. It was a long time ago but I remember it, gold colour with the big eagle emblem on the bonnet. I think the body was composite material, pretty light and the power to weight ratio was phenomenal for the time. Looking at the specs the engine only developed about 220 bhp which doesn’t seem much by todays standards but it went like a rocket. He could get about 14 mpg (Imperial) if he drove like Miss Daisy but who’d want to, he got more like 6 or 7 mpg the way he drove it.

Don’t know much about the Camaro 6 cylinder engine, hope it’s not like the 2.5 PI in the Triumph with its leaky injectors and fuel lines but wouldn’t you always wish you’d bought the V8?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dude, There are insufficient numbers of members on this forum to probably be able to provide you with in depth info on the Fifth Generation Camaro.
You can of course explore sites like Auto-Data.net and several of the UK based owners American vehicle Forums .
Yep, just had a look at auto-data and they've mpg for the V8, but not the 6.
I mailed the two biggest yank car clubs in the uk, and only one bothered to answer, suggesting that I get an AA or RAC check.
This wasn't my question to them.
Shall carry on looking mate!
Cheers

TD :cool:

·
Registered
385 Posts
I thought Camaro/Corvette were still officially supported by one dealer in the south?

WH Brand sold plenty of Camaros before the plug was pulled, and serviced them too, I believe they even had some maintenance arrangement for other GM US brands, on account of the quantity of them on the roads round here due to the USAF bases.
I doubt it is that hard to get service parts shipped from the US. Probably easier than getting parts for our Korean build Chevrolets

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
I thought Camaro/Corvette were still officially supported by one dealer in the south?
Metro, GM's official website lists just one dealer near Guildford.

We actually have no idea where member 'The Dude' is located because he didnt complete his 'Location' in his Sign-Up (the forum system believes him to be in UK?)

I'm not saying that he will not be able to gets parts but we know from the fraught experiences of other Chevrolet owners that diagnostic support is rarer than hens teeth now in the UK.

Reactions: Metro1000

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
Dude, Virginia Water at GU25 post code is recognised as 'Guildford'. Where in the Country are you located?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dude, Virginia Water at GU25 post code is recognised as 'Guildford'. Where in the Country are you located?
I guess it comes under the Guildford area, but strange I guess. Not to worry.
I'm in Dorset, so Virginia Water is not a million miles from home. I posted a question to them, concerning my queries. They've responded by telling me that the V8 shuts down to 4 cyclinders on a run, enabling about 30-35 MPG, and that the V6 was never offered in Europe..

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
I guess that as you've received some response it is an encouraging sign that Allan Motors are (potentially) customer responsive.

Dude, as you've finally informed the Forum where you are, it might be worthwhile adding this information to your Sign-Up.
Helpful info for new users can be found on the following link: - Helpful Guidance Using the Forum

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I contacted GM last night, and they tell me that the 3.6 and the 6.2 both come in at 30 MPG. I find it strange that the two motors, with considerably different sized engines fetch the same. :unsure:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Looking at the specs, that 30mpg figure looks to be the combined for the 2.0. Combined for the 6.2 looks to be 19mpg. I could not find figures for the 3.6. Even allowing for +20% from US gallon to real gallon, I would suggest that those figures are at best "optimistic".
....But, get one while you can, I've noticed plenty of VW ID3 and ID4 popping up around here (Cambridgeshire) over the last few days, the time of those big V8's is nearly over methinks.
For comparison, my newly rebuilt engine in my Aveo got measured at 33.6 mpg today (LPG), on 200 miles of urban courier work over the last 2 days, I would expect that to improve a little when it gets properly set up.

·
Registered
820 Posts
....I've noticed plenty of VW ID3 and ID4 popping up around here (Cambridgeshire) over the last few days, the time of those big V8's is nearly over methinks.For comparison, my newly rebuilt engine in my Aveo got measured at 33.6 mpg today (LPG), on 200 miles of urban courier work over the last 2 days, I would expect that to improve a little when it gets properly set up.
Did you see that announcement that Volkswagen were changing their name to Voltswagen to emphasise their change to making electric vehicles. Turns out it was a mixture of an early April Fools Day joke and a marketing ploy. Anything goes in the rush to selll, sell, sell.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't think that for one moment that both cars fetch in the same. Maybe the girl on the help desk couldn't find the correct figures for both and gave me some bulshit? :unsure:
I think that I've mentioned above, that the 6.2 shuts down to 4 cylinders when you're on a run, enabling the 30 MPG.

·
Registered
820 Posts
A bit like the Cadillac V8-6-4 L62 engine with its cylinder deactivation system, forerunner of the Northstar.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts