Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, could anyone please advise. I have a 2012 orlando Automatic, my alternator has been overcharging my battery. We have put a brand new alternator on and still having the same issue, also done a diagnostic this morning and these codes come up. The any help and advise would be greatly apprieated. I have also noticed a whining sound when accelerating and slowing down. Also a loss of power on the smallest gradient. The I've had this feeling ar since February, and it's only done 46000 miles

·
Super Moderator
6,457 Posts
Sallyann,
I'm unsure who diagnosed the battery overcharging by the alternator or who replaced it. What were the conditions of this 'overcharging' ? That issue may not have anything to do with the latest data aqnd I suspect there are two very different issues here.

Symptom 71 unfortunately doesnt mean anything. Code listings in your owners handbook (somewhere about page 81) does not list a symptom or warning code 71.
A full GM diagnostic code would typically show a four digit code prefixed by probably a letter 'P'.

The only glimmer of hope is that I notice the screen refers to 'Antilock brakes'. This along with loss of power could well indicate you may have a failed ABS (Antilock Braking System) sensor on one of the wheels. This would activate the system safety measure of reducing the power (when applied such as going up an incline) so as to protect the driver/occupants in a vehicle which has been detected as having a 'stability problem'. Normally I would have expected warning light(s) to be activated on the drivers display as well.
Another option could simply be a lose connector (somewhere).

I think to make any meaningful headway you need to get a Scanner capable of reading Full GM diagnostic trouble codes. Currently from the information to hand I dont think there is sufficient detail on recognisable GM codes to enable any progress. Come back please with Full GM DTC's

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good evening,

Im sorry for the confused message.

So it all started with the car losing power whilst driving especially on a slight gradient.

I had my machanic test the battery as he said could be that after my clock randomly changing its times for no reason. I on this inspection it came up unstae battery.

I then called the AA out as I have a garage and parts cover with them.

They then checked the car over as said the battery was charging g at 15.8 vts stationary. Which was really high and needed a new Alternator.

I was then went to the garage I bought it from as s under warrenty and they said the same and changed the alternator. This was I was Friday. Then over the Weekend I noticed a whinning sound that goes up and down at with speeding up and slowing down. ( it was like a police siren from afar)

So got the AA out again and they tested and again come up high volts from the battery and probably the alternator (confused as just been changed)

Also done a diagnostic for the first time since owning the car (4months) and that is what came up. I apologies for the missing number codes to the readings I missed that out for some reason and did not realise.

Unfortunately the codes were cleared and have not come back on when retested thus evening. I have hope this helps clarify a bit more.

·
Super Moderator
6,457 Posts
Sallyann, your further explanation still does not convince me that these 'events' are connected.
The alternator overcharging would not ordinarily result in loss of engine power. For the over voltage situation on the alternator still being apparent raises the question whether it was actually replaced or whether this was a 'spanner rattling' exercise? This requires attention of a skilled auto electrician.
The whining sound which has now developed could well be an 'adjusted' drive belt.

Loss of power I would suspect the ABS - especially noting the reference to Antilock brakes. My view remains unchanged that until we have full GM diagnostic codes there is little forum members can narrow this down to.

As it would seem you still have a Warranty via your supplier you should continue to pursue this with them.

Possibly other forum members can offer alternative opinions.

·
Super Moderator
6,457 Posts
In respect of the Battery overcharging symptom the following extract from the internet is interesting reading;

"Battery overcharging is easy and cheap to avoid. A car's battery will overcharge if the voltage regulator isn't working correctly. ... However, if the wrong alternator is placed in the car, or if the alternator is running at the wrong pace, it will create too much energy for the car battery, causing it to overcharge."

So the two areas for your Auto Electrician to check are (i) Incorrect alternator fitted; (ii) the voltage regulator.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I’d concur with what you’ve said Ed, given the level of information received.

The missing fault codes might be something along the lines of :

U0412 Invalid Data Received From Battery Energy Ctrl Mod A
U0413 Invalid Data Received From Battery Energy Ctrl Mod B

U0415 Invalid Data Received From ABS Ctrl Mod

U0418 Invalid Data Received From Brake Sys Ctrl Mod

although I would have expected the CEL or SVS warning to have come up.

tbh I have little interest in this type of thread where it’s just a jumble of confusion, made up and drip fed as the OP goes along.

·
Super Moderator
6,457 Posts
Victor, Your last sentence might be somewhat harsh in as much the OP is going by the efforts of the AA (ie identifying battery problem) and dealer who may or not be genuinely helping, or maybe going through the 'impression' of helping ie was the alternator really changed and if so the wrong one maybe installed, as indeed the one before it may have been the incorrect alternator. In other words replacing like for like may just be perpetuating the cause and not solving it.

There are I believe two totally non related issues. (i) Alternator and/or the regulator; (ii) a separate stability issue possibly related to ABS.

The OP has some tech savvy to test scan via the OBD port but the equipment used does not appear to be GM dedicated and therefore only detecting the codes which it can identify. It is well known that non GM capable scanners will seldom identify everything and there may be 'hidden codes' not visually revealed.

The one and only straw to grasp at is the the screen shot shows a reference to Antilock Brakes. This forum across several different models has regularly identified loss of power due to a faulty ABS sensor (or sometimes just the connector) which means that the vehicle will restrict power when it detects a potential general stability error.
However the clearance of the 'codes?' is now stated to have not reappeared which ordinarily I would expect them to re-set again.

There is an outside chance that the loss of power could be connected to DPF choking up from repeated aborts of cleaning burn. In this respect other than being told the vehicle has been owned by the OP for four months we know nothing about the type of vehicle use either now or previously. I will ask this question separately to the OP.

·
Super Moderator
6,457 Posts
Sallyann, You will see that I am convinced the symptoms you describe are probably two completely separate issues.
I need to ask a couple of questions.
Prior to this vehicle were you familiar with diesel vehicles deploying DPF burn technology?
What type of use is it used for ie to & from shops, school, locally etc; or is the vehicle used for distance higher speed use on motorways or dual carriageways?

It is becoming important to fully establish full GM diagnostic codes. Do you have a Chevrolet service dealer near you or possibly a Vauxhall dealer (GM) who can provide a definitive print out? You have not completed your Location in your Forum Sign-Up so we have no idea of your Town/City location.

The following Forum information maybe useful reading:-

·
Super Moderator
6,457 Posts
Sallyann,
Have you been able to make progress?
Has the alternator been checked as being the correct one for your vehicle variant?
Has the voltage control regulator been checked by auto electrician?
Have any further codes been identified and / or have the ABS sensors and connectors been checked.
Are you getting any symptoms of the cooling fan 'running on' after you stop the vehicle and do you have the DPF lamp illuminated on your dash screen?

If everything has been resolved to your satisfaction it is helpful to post what the cause and solution was because this will be helpful for others to refer to in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts