Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Chevrolet Captiva 2.4 LT (Auto)(Petrol) (Millage 113k)
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey I have a 2012 Chevy Captiva LT 2.4l(petrol/auto) recently it started giving me problems. The engine light stays on and when the petrol gets to a certain level the ESC light turns on. When you turn it off and on again and the petrol is at "that level" the ESC light comes on and the car doesn't want to drive it drives very slowly and the engine light flashes then it revs high and launches forward. It goes into this mode when ever you stop but as soon as you fill it up with petrol the ESC light dissappears until it gets to that level again. When I scanned the code it said engine running lean
Also just to add the car also idles weirdly and when the ESC light comes on the whole car starts to shake when idling

Any idea what the cause of this is and how to fix it ?

·
Super Moderator
6,995 Posts
Bobby, Did you only have one Diagnostic code? From what you have described I would have expected several codes.
Are you using a diagnostic reader capable of reading ALL GM codes or an inexpensive simple Home user one? We need ALL codes please.
Your last remarks 'shaking when idling' would prompt me to think there is a failed injector.
Mileage and service history would be helpful.
You didnt complete your World location when Signing-Up but the Forum system believes you to be in South Africa (?)
Other helpful tips plus how to complete Sign-Up and vehicle info in your Signature Footer can be read in the following link:-
You can also use the Forum Search function to read up previous similar posts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good day
Thanks so much for the reply. That is correct I am based in South Africa(Chevy parts are difficult to come by)
The fault codes that It gives are
E8 - P0171 System too lean (Bank 1)
E8 - P0300 Random misfire detected
The Mileage is 113000km
And the car has been serviced at all the intervals and had its latest service at 105000km where the oil and sparkplugs have been replaced

·
Registered
754 Posts
I seem to recall reading about a problem with the spark plugs on this engine and if you’ve been running it for a while then you’ve possibly damaged the CAT, especially now you’re getting the P0300 fault code. Did the problem come on after its last service when they changed the plugs?

·
Super Moderator
6,995 Posts
Answers on both codes are readily available on the internet.

The P0300 code means that a cylinder(s) is misfiring or is randomly misfiring. Start by checking for intake leaks; intake gaskets are a common cause of multi-cylinder misfiring. If no leak is found, the next step is to replace the spark plugs, check wiring & coil.

The P0171 code means that, on the first bank of the engine, the fuel system is running weak or a vacuum leak exists near this side of the engine. A lean condition occurs when the engine either receives too little fuel or too much air.

A common factor to both codes is gasket leak, vacuum leak, replace spark plug(s). Did they use the correct plugs when replacing a last service?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for the reply I appreciate all the help
After a long search I managed to get my hands on the intake manifold gaskets
Although I can't find any resources on the Internet that shows how to replace them
Do you perhaps have links to how to replace it ?
TIA

·
Super Moderator
6,995 Posts
I'm curious to know how you established that it was inlet manifold gaskets that had failed? Knowing how you diagnosed this will assist other Forum members.

How did you rule out Victors possibility of the Spark plugs being the culprit? I note that you didnt answer Victors question (#4) "Did the problem come on after its last service when they changed the plugs? ". Have you indeed checked that the correct spark plugs were used and set to correct gapping at the last service? (refer my question in post #5).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't say for sure that it is the intake manifold gasket because I haven't installed the new ones yet (I'll keep everyone updated to let you know if it was the culprit)
Apologies Victor I missed that one. The problem occured before the spark plugs were replaced although it wasn't as bad as it is now.
I'm sure the correct plugs were used because I bought them myself at the parts shop . The part shop here has a system where they ask for your vin number and then they run it and give you the manufacturer recommendation. So I assumed that they are correct but I will be double checking it. I'm running through it systematically as per @Aussie Ed recommendation of "Start by checking for intake leaks; intake gaskets are a common cause of multi-cylinder misfiring. If no leak is found, the next step is to replace the spark plugs, check wiring & coil."(#5)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick update on the situation
So I have replaced the intake manifold gaskets but that doesn't seem to be the problem. I looked at everything. And everything seemed to be okay and then decided to check the injectors. They were bad I've attached an image to show you guys how they looked. I then cleaned them and put them back but they seem to be still spraying incorrectly. I will have them properly cleaned by tomorrow and then see. I'm still getting P0300 error and its still idling terribly almost as if its running on half the cylinders the problem seems to be floating around cylinder 2 and 3

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update
Injectors were throughourly cleaned and the car is now running perfectly.
(Note if you have the same problem and are running laser iridium spark plugs let them dry out first as they don't do well slightly wet)

·
Super Moderator
6,995 Posts
Helpful feedback. Glad it is sorted for you. (y)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts