Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Got a problem with my wife's 2013 Spark. The car has been sitting unused since the start of the pandemic and the battery went flat. Attempted to pop the bonnet to remove it and got nothing. Tried everything, including pushing down with another person but nothing. The cable doesn't seem to be broken it just won't release. Makes me think that the mechanism has rusted. I've bought a top grill from eBay so I've got the option of going through that if it would work.

It's the UK version of the vehicle.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
7,466 Posts
First thought would be to try WD40 with the extender 'straw' in between the bonnet & body, or via the grill area.

Helpful link here how to use the Forum; Helpful Guidance Using the Forum

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a final update on this. We finally got it open, but we had to go through the top grill. After that we hit it with some penetrative WD40 that I got from Amazon and left it for a few days. We got some purchase on the cable at the right hand side going into the latch and pushing up and down on the bonnet with some force all of a sudden it released.

Looking at it, the whole mechanism had seized and corroded. There was some penetrative WD40 inside so that looked to have helped.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi All,

Got a problem with my wife's 2013 Spark. The car has been sitting unused since the start of the pandemic and the battery went flat. Attempted to pop the bonnet to remove it and got nothing. Tried everything, including pushing down with another person but nothing. The cable doesn't seem to be broken it just won't release. Makes me think that the mechanism has rusted. I've bought a top grill from eBay so I've got the option of going through that if it would work.

It's the UK version of the vehicle.

Any ideas?

Cheers.
I bought a damaged spark 2010 with only 6000 miles on the clock corresponds with mots, just the bumper and back panel replaced, but jammed the bonnet, no crash damage to it, but the salvage yard used crow bars to open it damaged all the frame, but if the worst comes don't lever it, there are 2 tags on the slam panel you could get a hacksaw blade and try to cut the tags, then take the bumper off and use a bond and glue the tags back, then you can see 2 10 mill bolts holding the the bonnet catch undo them and lift the bonnet up, then wd 40 on the mechanism get some body to pull the cable, before attaching to the bonnet try it by hand until it frease up, grease it

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought a damaged spark 2010 with only 6000 miles on the clock corresponds with mots, just the bumper and back panel replaced, but jammed the bonnet, no crash damage to it, but the salvage yard used crow bars to open it damaged all the frame, but if the worst comes don't lever it, there are 2 tags on the slam panel you could get a hacksaw blade and try to cut the tags, then take the bumper off and use a bond and glue the tags back, then you can see 2 10 mill bolts holding the the bonnet catch undo them and lift the bonnet up, then wd 40 on the mechanism get some body to pull the cable, before attaching to the bonnet try it by hand until it frease up, grease it
Qbond, extra strong super glue

1 - 6 of 6 Posts