Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Captiva is still being sold in various countries. I saw a video of the 2021 model in the United Arab Emirates and thought if they still marketed that in the UK there'd be a lot of buyers. Especially at the equivalent of £15,000-odd quid!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Victor, as I suspected from the photo, and confirmed in the video, the 2021 Captiva is a trim adjusted version of the MG (SAIC) Hector sold in India (But not the UK), the giveaway is the body shape and the rather weedy GM derived 1.5 litre engine and CVT.
The Hector is just a tiny bit larger than the on-sale MG HS, so my guess is that MG do not consider that the vehicle would be competitive in the UK, even though it is available already in RHD. In the past, SAIC products have been somewhat savaged in the UK press for just what the reviewer comments on, too many hard plastics and not enough perceived quality. The MG6 in particular, and MG3 got hit by this, although I thought the MG6 was rather nice (I did a 30 mile test drive with MG back in 2011 before launch) and didn't feel the hard low level plastics were much of an issue.
Last year, MG UK's sales director pretty much confirmed to me that from a UK perspective, the company was moving towards electric only rather quickly, which makes sense, there would be no point importing a car too similar to an existing product, which would sell in tiny numbers, and them burden them for years with service and part requirements.
Hate to say it, but "gas", bottom-of-the-market cars like the 2021 Captiva have but a few years left to survive here, they are very much a developing world exclusive now.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Metro1000 yes, the MG isn't much of a car but I'd still buy one of these Covid Delta Captivas for only £15k and take it to the pub and sit it outside amongst all the Kias amd Qashqais etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts