Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
It automatically selects 4WD when the front wheels slip. Hence, in normal conditions it is in 2WD (front wheels). I believe that when 4WD is engaged it is indicated by a light on the dashboard. However, until we get the snow, cant say I'll find out for certain...

Unless of course I find a muddy field and try :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the answer - but I've probably not stated the question correctly.

What I would like to know is how do you know you have a Captiva CAPABLE of going into 4x4 mode. i.e. That you have NOT purchased a 2x4 Captiva version only.

As there is no 4x4 badge on the body to tell you..

Thanks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If your Captiva is a 2l diesel with seven seats ( I don't think the LS version has 7 seats ) then surely it can only be an LT, LTX or LTZ which areall AWD ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's an diesel LT version (08).

Thanks for the reply, it does not state clearly anywhere this info (spec sheet, web page or brochure).

cheers.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Have a look underneath. If it has a propshaft and a rear diff it's 4x4. No rear diff = FWD!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Easier than that....

On your dashboard you will see a "warning light" which illuminates and goes off when you start the ignition.

It looks something like (excuse my rubbish graphics)

\---\

!

!

!----!

If this flashes during driving (where AWD is needed) it is normal (apparantly). If it comes on and stays on, you have a problem with the AWD system and need to get it checked.

If when you start you car, this light comes on and goes off you HAVE AWD. If it doesnt come on, you dont....

All in the handbook

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great!

Cheers, just what I was looking for, many thanks.

p.s. Graphics were good!!

Edited by: adama67

·
Registered
997 Posts
K.L.Richards said:
Easier than that....

On your dashboard you will see a "warning light" which illuminates and goes off when you start the ignition.

It looks something like (excuse my rubbish graphics)

\---\

!

!

!----!

If this flashes during driving (where AWD is needed) it is normal (apparantly). If it comes on and stays on, you have a problem with the AWD system and need to get it checked.

If when you start you car, this light comes on and goes off you HAVE AWD. If it doesnt come on, you dont....

All in the handbook
I still think looking underneath is easier- my LTX is like Blackpool in October when you switch the ignition on! Edited by: bigiainw

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bit of a random question this....

When my diesel LT goes up steep inclines the engine sounds like it's really working. Without wheelspin I'm only using 2WD. Surely if 4WD was in play (and available by choice) performance would be better in pulling 2 tonnes up hill

·
Registered
997 Posts
daddyburns said:
Bit of a random question this....

When my diesel LT goes up steep inclines the engine sounds like it's really working. Without wheelspin I'm only using 2WD. Surely if 4WD was in play (and available by choice) performance would be better in pulling 2 tonnes up hill
To be fair, if you're not breaking traction then 2wd is more efficient as there are less losses due to friction etc. All the 4wd does is split the power and double the frictional losses, there by using more fuel and reducing the efficiency, and if my LTX 2.0d is anything to go by, they are inefficient enough on their own and need no help in that department. They are brilliant in the snow though although like my learned colleague above, I wish it was switchable too, as it can catch you out when it suddenly decides to engage 4wd in the snow.

Ari Vatenen eat your heart out!

Iain

Edited by: bigiainw

·
Registered
652 Posts
I agree they are great in the snow, not really an off-road vehicle, but snow is no problem for the Captiva. Which to be fair is the only time I need 4WD.

I did however get caught out once last year. Had a very steep incline to get up which was covered in about 5-6 inches of the white stuff. Problem was the road was narrow with trees one side and a wall and sheer drop the other. To make thinks worse, there was a 90degree (very sharp) bend in the middle. The Captiva was happy enough in 2WD so far but started to understeer on the bend. I applied a little power to try and get 4WD to engage, but there wasnt enough room and I was going nowhere. If I had a switchable 4WD system I have no doubt the Captiva would have made it.

I had to reverse back, turn round and go back the way I came. Which was up another steep hill, same gradient (was actually both sides of a dip in the valley), same amount of snow, but straight. So the Captiva simply spun the front wheels, cut in AWD and climbed the snow covered road with ease.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum having just bought a 2008 LT which up to now I am enjoying. Can I just ask how quickly the AWD activates?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Pretty much as soon as you break traction! It's quickeer than you can think to do it, if it were manual.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I once had a car tuned on a rolling road - front wheels on rollers. Assume this not possible with 4x4 because the rear wheel drive would kick in and drive the front wheels off the rollers. Can 4x4s be tested on a rolling road?

·
Registered
997 Posts
There are 4x4 rolling roads, but the captiva would be fine so long as you don't spin the wheels....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts