Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2011 Captiva VCDI 7seater, which I bought because of the versatility of 7 seats (have 4 children in tow) and the high kerb weight for towing a caravan.

I have just moticed the wording in the manufacturers handbook is the wording Caution The 3rd ROW seats should not be occupied when towing a trailer!!

Is this a recommendation or a condition, ie will it invalidate my insurance if I tow whilst carrying passenger(s) in the 3rd row? Also, is this something that is unique to the Captiva?

I considered lots of cars before I finally made my decision and visitedseveral dealers with the specific requirements of needing 7 seatsand plenty of kerbweight and pulling power to tow the caravan, not one of them mentioned this cautionary note. Now with the car barely 6 months old I am faced with the decision of having to change it.

Any advice welcome.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have an orlando 7 seater and I tow a caravan. I have just gone through my hand book and can find no reference to not using the 3rd row of seats when towing, there are lots of warnings but nothing mentioned about towing a caravanMight just be the captiva

·
Registered
153 Posts
The warning is also in the 2011 2.2l diesel handbook. Contact Chevrolet, however I would doubt that anyone who works for them in Luton will know. Phone them and ask them to ask Daewoo in Korea if they can say why this is the case. I think it is to do with extra weight on the back axle, however will the weight of 4 chidren in the back equal the weight of 3 adults who could be in the second row, plus a large dog in the boot! I hope you get a sensible answer, however knowing the cretins who are employed in the automobile industry, I would doubt it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I think the problem will b the insurance... If it is advised in the handbook against this (and to be honest I don't tow, so haven't checked this), then you give the insurance an "out" if needed. From my experience, insurance companies will not pay out if you have gone against the manufactures advice.
I would suggest checking with Chevrolet customer support. If they advise this is OK, you want to get it in writing and keep it, as you may need this if you have a future battle with your insurance company.

Sorry not much help, but would be interested in your findings. Please post an update.

Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi - I asked Chevrolet about this issue before I bought my on LT 7 seater.

The answer was that I shouldn't do it - but, as the youth on the other end of the phone seemed to be utterly clueless about anything mechanical, I decided to ignore his advice.

Subsequently I towed our 1600kg caravan with a very heavy noseweight (over 160 kg when I finally got around to measuring it) with either one or both rear seats occupied and/or a shed load of caravanning bits in the boot.

Never had a single problem with it in two years of (seasonal) towing - in fact, the Captiva was probably the best tow car I've ever used.

My advice - go ahead without a second though BUT, say nothing to Chevrolet. If something does go wrong, let them prove that you were using the rear seats.

In the real world nothing unoward will happen, and you'll be delighted with the way it tows.

I'm not complacent with regard to insurance implications, btw - I would never chip a car without telling tthem, for example - but, in this case it's not a passenger safety issue, it's purely designed to ease the life of the Nivomat suspension.

That's fair enough - but I bought the car to do a job, and as far as I was concerened the Nivomats would just have to like it or lump it

As it happened, they seemed to like it - or, at least, they didn't fail.

Having said all that, I kow that I'm guilty of double standards because, honesltly, I wouldn't buy a second-hand car that has been used for caravanning. I know the stress and strain that towing puts on the engine and transmission, and I wouldn't fancy picking up the future bills.

OTOH, you've got a new car and a warranty - so tow away to your heart's content (or your wallet's capacity) , and let future owners worry about things when the time comes.

Changing it after six months is not an option - you will be absolutely staggered at the depreciation!

Keep it, enjoy it, and don't worry about the seat restriction.

Edited by: Captivabits

1 - 6 of 6 Posts