Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I can’t seem to find what I’m looking for. To day I pulled up selected neutral and went to put it into drive and nothing happend, went to reverse and nothing it just revved. Left it 20 minutes and I managed to drive it to the garage where it’s left now. Any ideas what happend ? Or what I need the garage to look at as I drove it there ok at 30 mph all the way. Is this most likely an oil problem

·
Super Moderator
6,457 Posts
Hi Clancy, From your very brief details it could be any one of a number of things.

Provided your service garage has Scanning capabilities for GM codes then that is first port of call.
You dont give any details on mileage, previous service history or anything. In the service history when was the ATF last checked / flushed / replaced?

As a Newbie the following link will provide you with helpful Tips and Guidance on completing your Sign-Up 'Location' , and other useful suggestions.
Helpful Guidance Using the Forum

At this stage the diagnostic codes are vital to enable the possible cause to be narrowed down. Report back to us once you have the codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Clancy, From your very brief details it could be any one of a number of things.

Provided your service garage has Scanning capabilities for GM codes then that is first port of call.
You dont give any details on mileage, previous service history or anything. In the service history when was the ATF last checked / flushed / replaced?

As a Newbie the following link will provide you with helpful Tips and Guidance on completing your Sign-Up 'Location' , and other useful suggestions.
Helpful Guidance Using the Forum

At this stage the diagnostic codes are vital to enable the possible cause to be narrowed down. Report back to us once you have the codes.
Ok I have no service history. It’s done 59k I’ve had it 2 weeks from the finance company. There hopefully going to pay for the work as it’s still there problem. The car has been very well looked after so I hope they did the same to the mechanics of it. It feels good to drive it just happend out of the blue. I can’t give anymore details as I haven’t had one of these before and was reluctant to get it as I know it’s going to be a hard car for parts ect. and there’s not much info on the captiva. The wife loved the look of it and wanted it. I do really like it to be fair but I still am concerned about reliability. It’s being looked at tomorrow by my mechanic so hopefully his “ Gold standard diagnostics equipment” will work. Thank you for the reply

·
Registered
259 Posts
I don't want to be funny, but how can you possibly know that it has been "very well looked after" if you have no service history at all? When buying a car that is 8 years old, surely you would expect to see some evidence of at least 8 services and other inspections, especially as it would most likely have been looked after by Chevrolet for the first few years of it's life, and Chevrolet used to have a full service "tick sheet" for all of it's models. A £15 valet by some East Europeans could hide all sorts of things, but the car still look good.

If you really have nothing to go on, look up it's MOT record online and see if it has had any recurring advisories- it can sometimes give you a clue.

Reactions: Aussie Ed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just had the diagnostics done and it says that the TCU lost signal now when I was bringing it home it did it seven more times and the man thinks that there is a loose cable on the tcu It’s booked in on Thursday to go in and have a proper look

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't want to be funny, but how can you possibly know that it has been "very well looked after" if you have no service history at all? When buying a car that is 8 years old, surely you would expect to see some evidence of at least 8 services and other inspections, especially as it would most likely have been looked after by Chevrolet for the first few years of it's life, and Chevrolet used to have a full service "tick sheet" for all of it's models. A £15 valet by some East Europeans could hide all sorts of things, but the car still look good.

If you really have nothing to go on, look up it's MOT record online and see if it has had any recurring advisories- it can sometimes give you a clue.
Yes I understand what your saying but I know the difference between a dog of a car and a smooth running car. obviously I don’t have the paperwork to back anything up so I’m not 100% sure it’s been looked after but it’s not running like a piece of 💩 mot history looks good so thanks for that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts