Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is probably a stupid question, but it has been bugging me for a couple of weeks, so I wonder if anyone can shed some light on it.

I have had my Captiva for 4 weeks now, it is a brand new LTZ Auto in white, fitted with side bars, back bumper guard and HID lights. The dealer filled the tank for me when I took delivery and I did 402 miles before it needed filling.

The second tank only did 341 miles, same type of driving, which is a mixture of Country Road, and Motorway driving, typical journey to work is about 36 miles each way.

The third tank only did 311 miles, again the same type of driving, can anyone suggest why there is such a difference in the number of miles done on the first tank?

Cheers

·
Registered
476 Posts
Can only suggest a couple of things that add up to the discrepancy. One the dealer overfilled the tank by trying to keep on filling when the nozzle clicked off, good value for you but should not really be done you should have a head of air for expansion, the fuel system is sealedfor emissions reasons.Also do not know which guide you used regarding when to refuel. both the light and the display are not too accurate and can be settling down with being new therefor there is more fuel left in the tank between refuels. Another thing is you are getting used to the car and are giving ita bit more boot. I have an auto and only get around 25 mpg without pushing it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Have heard of this happening years ago on an Austin Maxi - the petrol tank air breather was blocked, with the result that the tank was being permanentlydeformed by the resulting vacuum.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I will get the deal to check it out, along with a couple of niggles, have to say I love the car and it is nice to drive

·
Registered
476 Posts
Things have moved on a bit since the maxi, tanks no longer breathe to atmosphere but breathe through the engine because of emissions, andstop allowing petrol fumesout.If there is a fault on that side of thingsthe sensors brings theengine management light on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

Dealer says there is not fault and I should expect 320-340 miles out of a tank, driving on a mixture of A roads and Motorways.

I guess it's gonna cost me a little more than I thought to run!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts