Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car showing abs fault the other day. Plugged in obd reader and code for rear left sensor. Ordered new sensor cleared the error code and it came back on within seconds of the car driving, pulled up live data and can see the wheel sensor showing the correct wheel speed then it drops to 1 mph then back up to the correct wheel speed before dropping to 1 mph all other wheel sensors show and maintain the correct speeds.

I have looked into the hole where the speed sensor is mounted and it’s fairly rusty tried some brake cleaner but fault remains. I think the rear hub needs replaced unless anyone else has an idea to resolve this fault?

·
Super Moderator
6,700 Posts
Apparent ABS fault can be triggered by other things other than the ABS sensor. Wheel bearings and even a failing (internally laminating) tyre or a tyre/wheel out of balance can be a cause.
Lots of other earlier posts on ABS dilemmas can be read via the Forum Search function may give you other thoughts and possibilities.

Reactions: bobbyjoeufb

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks i have had a look through the posts and had another look at the sensor hole and I can see what looks like an Abs reluctor ring or what’s left of it very rusty and part of it is missing. Does not seem to be a replaceable part so looking at a new rear hub, two different versions so will need to measure up before I can order a replacement.

·
Super Moderator
6,700 Posts
Bobbyj, I didnt mention the reluctor ring because on a 2012 I wouldnt have thought this to have deteriorated to the extent you have described. But it is possible.
You mention your location as UK - are you in Scotland or somewhere where a lot of Road Salt is used?
I'm not familiar as to the position of the reluctor ring on the Cruze. Maybe one of our Cruze members can add further to this info.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aussie Ed,I am in Northern Scotland in fact I am 4 miles from the most Northly Point of the UK. So close to the sea air and lots of salt on the road come winter time. I have ordered a new skf rear wheel bearing with built in magnetic abs ring which should hopefully resolve the fault.

·
Super Moderator
6,700 Posts
Well my guess was reasonably accurate on location. You can add extra location data to your 'Signature' to include Town/city or Scotland if you wish.
The use of road salt and salty atmosphere is likely to have corroded the reluctor ring and possibly other brake components.
Let us know how you get on with the replacement bearing etc. If that doesnt solve it we'll move on to plan B, C etc :)
Good Luck .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replaced the rear hub today, was fairly straight forward, you can see from the photo the missing part of the abs reluctor ring. Also cleaned and greased the rear brakes ready for winter. Drove the car a short distance and the Abs warning light went out and so far has not come back on.

Got the car booked into garage next month for replacement dual mass flywheel and clutch which will hopefully stop it from sounding like a tractor and sort the gear issues out.

·
Super Moderator
6,700 Posts
BJ. Good feedback and photos. Pic no1 certainly reveals the horrific damage corrosion can do. A useful reminder to us all. Good fix - Well done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts