Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Here on behalf of my girlfriend. Got her a Chevrolet Kalos (I know I'm in the Aveo forum, but I think it's the same car with a different name!). It's an 05 plate 1.4L Petrol SX model, but we've been having some problems with it ever since we got it about 2 months ago.

Anyway, the first fault was when I was driving it just after buying it. Coming to a stop at the lights and at about 5mph the abs activated and the brake pedal started shuddering - it wasn't wet and I wasn't going fast, so definitely no skidding happening to trigger the ABS system.

ABS light came on, but went off the next day.

This has happened a couple of times since then.

In addition, there's been 3 occasions when my girlfriend has been driving that her brakes have become completely ineffective on the road. She says that the brake pedal goes stiff and won't depress, there's barely any braking power, and it's often accompanied with the ABS system coming on again.

I've had the front wheels off and the LHS abs ring and general assembly looks brand new, whilst the RHS is all rusted with teeth broken off, etc. Although even if this was the fault with the ABS system, I still can't imagine why that would intermittently cause the brakes to become completely ineffective?

I haven't had the ABS codes read yet (mostly because I grudge paying so much money to a garage just to plug a computer in), but will probably get this done in the next few days.

Anyway, just wondering if anybody is familiar with these symptoms and can suggest what the problem may be?

·
Registered
380 Posts
your car is actually really a daewoo kalos, the model that was in production before chevrolet completed the transformation of the cars. a few years back my aveo (later platform) i had to clean the abs sensor connections as i had the same noises as you and pedal sensation. actually means it IS working but sensing wrongly. but the clue is there in your question, the broken teeth. 100%. get it fixed. you are playing with your girlfriends life!
Edited by: Oldroverboy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oldroverboy said:
your car is actually really a daewoo kalos, the model that was in production before chevrolet completed the transformation of the cars. a few years back my aveo (later platform) i had to clean the abs sensor connections as i had the same noises as you and pedal sensation. actually means it IS working but sensing wrongly. but the clue is there in your question, the broken teeth. 100%. get it fixed. you are playing with your girlfriends life!
Thanks for the reply mate.

So what you're saying is that the old Chevy Kalos is the same as the old Daewoo Kalos, but the new Chevy Kalos is the same as the new Chevy Aveo?

I agree that the broken teeth on the ABS ring are probably causing some issues, and we're going to get that fixed asap. Just wanted to make sure that there wasn't some other issue - because if we just fix that, and assume that it's fixed, when the underlying cause is actually still something else, then we'll still be risking lives!

Anyway, just on question: I thought that when the abs system detected a problem, it would DISABLE the system and show the ABS light until the problem was rectified and the trouble codes were cleared. If that's the case, why is the light going off of its own accord and why is the brake system still failing?

·
Registered
380 Posts
correct for the cars, if you go to wikipedia it will explain the platforms. In my case it was the broken teeth, i managed to get it fixed, (although i did not have the lights coming on,) but are the front pads worn/very low? i thimk the bits cost about £60 ish from a motor factor.

When yo get the juddering it is trying to work, but the missing teeth are confusing it. In my case we reckoned it was the speed bumps wot did it.
Ps my mum was from west calder, so Happy motoring>

·
Registered
380 Posts
Oldroverboy said:
correct for the cars, if you go to wikipedia it will explain the platforms. In my case it was the broken teeth, i managed to get it fixed, (although i did not have the lights coming on,) but are the front pads worn/very low? i thimk the bits cost about £60 ish from a motor factor.

and we replaced the brake pads too! (extra!)
When you get the juddering it is trying to work, but the missing teeth are confusing it. In my case we reckoned it was the speed bumps wot did it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oldroverboy said:

When yo get the juddering it is trying to work, but the missing teeth are confusing it. In my case we reckoned it was the speed bumps wot did it.
Cool. The front pads are fine, I can't see anything else wrong with the braking system.

Am I right in thinking that to change the abs ring you need to remove the whole CV joint?

Edited by: GSMChev

·
Registered
380 Posts
i think (it is a while back) that it was the cvj that was replaced, but i have since moved a long way from where the work was done, so a bit hard for me to ask them. i think total bill was about £110ish with labour, i did the pads separately, (within my competences)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts