Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone merry xmas and a happy new year,i have browsed a couple of questions on the forum after discovering on xmas day that i had a problem with some warning lights on the dash.
the engine management light is on and i was told by mr.RAC man when it occured 3 months agothat it was my mass air flow sensor,he reset the light but two weeks later it came back on but he said dont worry it will do one of three things, stop,go into safe mode or nothing at all to date the car is driving ok so the question is how much would it cost roughly to replace and would a local garage be able to do it??? as i think dealerships are cons, the second being the same if it is the abs sensor causing the other lights to come on (which are traction control,4 wheel drive,ABS and a descent icon)could this be done at the local garage and how much. the garage has got diagnostic equipment etc and are quite reputable. would the garage be able to diagnose the correct sensor??

sorry to be a nag but i love my car but have no knowledge of repairing them

many thanks paul

·
Registered
997 Posts
You don't say what car you have, but I'm going to presume the car is a Captiva, since you have hill decent. Any local garage with the correct hardware/software can diagnose it for you. I had the same thing, turmned out to be a rear wheel bearing, new one arrived today to be fitted tomorrow, god and the weather willing. Not difficult to do for me, so a local garage should be fine with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah sorry its a captiva, is it an expensive fix??? i have had a disastrous xmas so far!! i wont go into it but i am now a lot more broke than i was xmas eve!!!!#plumbingnightmare.
cheers for the reply
paul

·
Registered
997 Posts
I was £30 for the diagnosis and £100 for an oem part from fleabay (dealer is £206 inc vat). I can fit it myself so no biggie, but I reckon about 2 hrs labour if you can't, slightly less for a front one which is a wee bit less involved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
had the front drivers side abs sensor done, they had to replace the hub to do it. total cost £357.00

·
Registered
997 Posts
They actually can just replace the sensor, £60 +vat from the dealer, about 1 hr to fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts