Chevrolet Owners Club banner

ABS & TCS Lights

23K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  bidderman1969 
#1 ·
Have done only 2000 miles but now both ABS & TCS warning lights are on. Dealer had a look, talked to Chevrolet and informed me that this is a known fault with no permanent fix, moreoverABS & TCS should still work when warning ligths are on! Anyone has such problems?

#2 ·
Hi,
ive just joined this site, and noticed this post. my 2009 epica LT has done 2700 miles, when driving to work a couple of weeks back the car missed a beat and then abs/tcs light came on..parked at work, on drive home after 5 mins light goes out
cars super smooth as always..

3 days later, same thing happens?? but goes off after a while..possibly dirt on a wheel sensor?

will get her booked in at chevrolet...

#3 ·
It is wise to take it back to the dealer. I eventually did and they had to change some parts, which had to be imported from Korea (2 weeks in garage).Now both warning lights are off when running. Both ABS & TCS seem to be working although they didn't help much in the snow. The Epica is a very well-equipped car. Cars with similar specs cost significantly more. However, I have a few grudges. Engine noise and stiff steering make it feel like a lorry. Steering rake can only be adjusted to two or three fixed positions. If you don't like any of them,it's tough! Steering reach can't be adjusted. Within 2 weeks of owning the vehicle, coolant was completely drained due to a loose hose connection (4 days in garage for investigation). I am currently investigating a fluid (light orange in colour) leaking from the middle of the car (therefor not coolant). Interior build quality is perhaps slightly inferior to standard cars (Vauxhall, Ford). General support is lacking too. I also own a Chevrolet Aveo. When it was serviced last, the spark plugs weren't changed because they were not in stock at dealer. They had to be imported from Korea leading to a 2-week delay. Do you have similar experience?

#4 ·
hi ,
blimey-youre not far from me..i have never seen another epica on the road!!!my lights came on then off today on my 6 mile trip to work!! odd..will get her to dealer.

overall i like the car stepping up from a very thirsy lacetti estate 1.6sx, but again, lacetti was a great car for the cash..which dealer do you use? baylis?

we tried one dealer near oxford for service..booked it in, arrived, said hed forgotten to book it in!!

another dealer nr bicester was downright rude when i commented about dirty seats on a brand new car..needless to say we didnt buy it..

epica has a great spec being the LT, dont use half the gadgets tho
gearchange is sometimes a bit notchy i suppose..

i great mpg, showing 47mpg most times.

we have a chevrolet matiz too which wife loves..

ive used cresser chevrolet in redditch for bits/bobs they seem pretty good..

#5 ·
I have also had a problem with ABS lights and thecruise controlhas intermittently failed but my local dealer (Pentagon of Derby) has been excellent. The replaced the front wheel sensors (or something like that) under warranty the day after the warning lights appeared. They have also replaced the front fog light chromed surrounds which became corroded very shortly after I took delivery.

I was told by the dealer that the ABS is disabled when the light shows.

There are comments about "phantom" warnings on the internet but in my case this wasn't true. Once in a while I do get the ABS lights on (especially in the wet).

Generally I am very pleased with the car but immensely disappointed that the marketing for it here was so poor. They have withdrawn it through lack of sales which is bound to affect resale values. Why would anyone buy them if they didn't know they existed? I travel abroad quite a lot with work and have seen Epicas in Spain, Russia and Turkey - so what were they messing about at here?

And why does the steering wheel have to be so HUGE???!!!

#6 ·
Is it a coincidence or what? When I drove to work today, the brake gave way and suddently felt soft. Then I looked at the dashboard, the two lights, namely, ABS and TCS, went on.
When I arrived work, I checked my email and saw your message about the brakes!This is the second time this problem has occurred to me. Unlike you, having an understanding dealer, my dealer is not very helpful. It takes them ages to get parts and they always try to avoid giving me a courtesy car. Moreover, it seems that I always have to go there twice to get one problem solved, one trip for investigation and the other for repairing (and perhaps a third time to rectify things they didn't put right the second time)! Last time when it was serviced, they didn't even change the air-filter which was supposedly included in the price. They told me they cleaned it! Anyway enough about my dealer. Nowmy car.

It seems to me that the ABS/TCS problem is a common one, whether it is a design fault. I have had the car for about 7 months. During this time, the brakes have, as you know,failed twice, radiator once, air con once, one of the shock absorbers has failed and one number plate light bulb has had to be changed, wheel-alignment has been done twice.This car is not reliable (I am entitled to say this after all that) and considering the after-sale service I get, it really isn't worth the bother. The look of the car does nothingfor me and it drives like a lorry. As I said before, the only thing going for it is the specs and gadgets. Car of similar specs cost significantly more. By the way, I am not sure whether the mpg readings are instantanous or cummulative. It seems that it varies a lot but always at some fixed values such as 42, 47.6 etc, never in between.The steering wheel controls are there for cruise control and audio system. However have you not had to switch on the reading lights at night to see what buttons you are pressing? Why aren't these controls self-illuminated in a supposedly well-spec car? Besides, this car is not fitted with an intruder-alarm. Someone broke one of my front windows and it never made a noise. And have you been able to auto-close windows when you are outside of the car using the remote control?

Next Monday I (I mean my boss - wife, she has already told me off for having to do this for me) shall take it to the garage. I wonder whatthe dealerare going to tell me this time.

#7 ·
Oh dear... I'm sorry to hear that you're having so many problems. Mine hasn't been perfectbut in the8 months and 14000 miles I have had it for, it has never left me stranded and has been back to the dealers much less than the 2006 Mondeo it replaced.

Plus, there is only ever one of them in the car park which is certainly unlike the Mondeo!

So - maybe you'll now get a good run of fortune. I don't really have a problem with the steering wheel control but I do agree that more illumination would help.

I personally like the styling in sort of a Audi-meets-Honda sort of way. It is understated but then I don't suppose that has changed since you bought it?

Maybe you should try another dealer? Isn't there another one locally?

#9 ·
Strangely... bought my epica 09 regfrom Pentagon sheffield, faulty mirror drivers side, mirror and switch replaced. oil leak on hose oil cooler to oil filter housing, known problemwill be replaced, air con fault some chassis numbers, mine does not cool enough, so will be modified when parts arrive, for steering tracking was checked, fault was all 4 tyres at only 25psi car checked 2 days after delivery when inflated to 30psi steering much better. steering fine at high motorway speeds, now done 2000 miles in 4 weeks fuel economy 40mpg, and that includes lots of motorway so very satisfactory. like headlights that come on automatically when needed, one touch drivers window closing, was able to get team dynamics 16" alloy as full size spare for 92quid + 1 tyre so no need to worry about space saver. All in all excellent car for theprci I paid for it. ps motorpoint have the 2.0litre 6cyl petrol ones that are left, all are very low mileage but beware sub 30mpg in normal use, if you are hesitating there are one or two very low mileage vcdi's left, grab them for less than 10'000! some of these cars are lt's. Ron Skinner in southwales has got 3 mileages between 5-15000 but make sure they have all the keys documentation and the service book is chevrolet stamped for first year as the cars more than 1 year old so need to have been serviced within 12 months of 1st reg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.