Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello As per my earlier Posts I have today been told by the Service Dept that I need and Oil/Filter change and Regen of the Exhaust Sorry hope I am explaining this right as I am a Woman
anyway the Service Dept said I need to pay £190
for the repairs even though the car is under warranty until next April? is this correct as I am quite cross that I need to pay for this?
Any help or advie wpould be greatly received

Edited by: Newbie

·
Registered
56 Posts
No, it's not because you are a woman,

If you take into account the labour charge where you are + VAT and the cost of the oil, it is not too bad,

BUT, what is bad is that you were obviously not told of the pitfalls in having a car that needs sufficient usage in higher rev regimes (for long enough) to burn off the soot in the dpf.

By the way i got rid of mine and bought a cruze petrol, lot happier now, car not as nice but 6 EXTRA oil changes in 2 years cost too much. (2.o diesl engine) maybe the 2.2 should be better.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm I love the car but with the school run I am doing a lot of stop/start driving but like you said I was never made aware of this when the Salesman was selling the car to me :(Thank you for the reply.

·
Registered
652 Posts
On your other thread, I think I got the wrong end of the stick. You said your throttle was stuck open, and if that is the case, being under warranty it is a warranty job.

Now you say it is your DPF regen that is at fault. That being the case you, like millions of others, have bought the wrong car for short back and forth school runs.

See this clip, by BBC Watchdog, a while back, and I know it is about a Fiat 500 diesel, but it is EXACTLY the same problem for all deisels with today's emmision regulations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2011/10/diesel_particulate_filters.html

So, if the regen is your problem, you will have to pay .... sorry.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay thanks for that info K.L. just got my car back got them down to £129 for the oil/filter change and Regen, also told me the inside of my two front tyres are bald wow they did not last long got the car at the end of April?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have you speed bumps where you live? They have had a similar effect on my tyres. Speed bumps cost people so much money and are not very green as we are replacing tyres more than those who don't have speed bumps!!! RANT OVER!!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Taffy yes we do have speed bumps down 50% of the roads where I live Idid not realise theywould create a problem with the tyres? goes to show you learn something every day

·
Registered
652 Posts
Speed bumps do cause no end of mechanical problems, but I don't think they can be directly attributed to tyre wear. Of course hit them too fast and they will effect the tracking over time, which in turn causes uneven tyre wear, but you should not be trying to drive over the speed bumps at speed, they are after all, there to slow traffic down in certain areas, is, around schools.

A common problem with the Captiva is tracking. There are numerous web sites complaining that the Caotiva's tracking tolerances are so tight, that garages are having difficulty correctly setting it. I would say your tracking is out, check the tyre, is it uneven wear, inside r outside balder than the other. That being the case, get your tracking set correctly, or you will be getting new tyres again in another 6 months.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I remember the Watchdog item on the Fiat 500 diesel, i think the point with that car is that it is so obviously a run around urban car as opposed to a long distance cruiser that it is unbelievable that you cannot solely drive it around town without creating the dpf issues that we now know and love (hate).
I say we now know, because seemingly like so many others I was totally unaware of the dpf issue when I bought my Captiva, not a word from the salesman. Infact I only discovered the issue on this site. Many people on here have suggested people using the Captiva as a school run vehicle are misusing it. For heaven's sake the car is a seven seater, many people who buy it are likely to have big families, and some of those kids in those big families might need ferrying to school.

I cannot believe in 2012 that this solution to emissions is such a restrictive primitive one, and to alienate a large sector of the population, which this car was obviously designed to attract is a bitincomprehensible.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Just to be clear, when I said using it for a school run, I meant only small local runs. Due to changes in my work pattern, I'm not doing anywhere near the distance I used to, and have fallen into the "school runs" sector myself. I do try to make sure it gets runs on the motorway as often as possible.

I agree that the Watchdog report was pointing out that "city cars" do not lend themselves to diesel with today's emission rules. However the same principal exists whether a Fiat 500 or Captiva, a diesel with a DPF is not designed for short local running (only). Edited by: K.L.Richards

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Johhnnybgood
As you mentioned above

''because seemingly like so many others I was totally unaware of the dpf issue when I bought my Captiva, not a word from the salesman. Infact I only discovered the issue on this site''
is what happened to me and I get the feeling many many others

But must admit I love the car

But I think it should be made illegal if the Salesman does not tell the customer about the DPF as it is obviously a major piece of information that the customer needs to know.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Or you can always have the dpf removed, just like me!!

·
Registered
997 Posts
I think you may be right!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts