Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - great resource which I have only just stumbled upon.

For the last few days my air con hasn't been getting cold - normally I have to switch it off as it freezes me.

I called the local dealer, who very knowingly said "those cars get stones in the air con condenser" and that if that is the case it's not a warranty issue.

Where is the condenser located I wanted to see if I could spot any holing to it before I take it in and get charged even to look at it.

My car is leased and so I want to avoid excessive bills on something I am just going to give back. It sounds like this could be a common issue by the way he seemed to know just over the phone what it could be - anyone else had it? If so I will try and batter Chevrolet rather than pay up!

If it is likely to be this, any better / cheaper routes to fixing - I assume Chevrolet dealer is going to be top price?

Many Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,465 Posts
Hi Chilluk, Welcome to forum. Sounds as if stone damage has penetrated the heat exchanger but thats only a guess over the phone by the dealer by the sound of it. There was a very useful 'post' on this forum 2 maybe3 weeks ago where you can have aircon checked by one of the tyre dealers. You get a report for nothing(!?) if you tackle it theright way,and then can decide what action and where to take it for repair. I cant quite put my finger on that post just for the moment. Maybe whoever posted it will repeat it or refer us to the date of post.
No need to worry about not having aircon any way - UK does look as if it is going to have a summer!

Aussie Ed

·
Super Moderator
7,465 Posts
Chilluk, Found earlier post by K L Richardsthat might help:-

<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #cccccc 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #cccccc 1pt solid; WIDTH: 98%; : white; BORDER-TOP: #cccccc 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #cccccc 1pt solid; mso-cellspacing: .6pt; mso-border-alt: solid #CCCCCC .5pt; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 1.8pt 1.8pt 1.8pt 1.8pt" border=1 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width="98%">
<T>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes">
<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #cccccc; BORDER-LEFT: #cccccc; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1.8pt; PADDING-LEFT: 1.8pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1.8pt; : #fbfbfd; BORDER-TOP: #cccccc; BORDER-RIGHT: #cccccc; PADDING-TOP: 1.8pt">
<DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">

<DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">Air Con not working!
Posted: 27 May 2012 at 10:41pm
</TD></TR>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 50.4pt; mso-yfti-irow: 1; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes">
<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e1e3ec 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e1e3ec 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1.8pt; PADDING-LEFT: 1.8pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1.8pt; : #fbfbfd; HEIGHT: 50.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #e1e3ec 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e1e3ec 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 1.8pt; mso-border-alt: solid #E1E3EC .25pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid #E1E3EC .5pt" vAlign=top>
<DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0.95pt">

Kwik fit is a good one for this. Not sure if they still do this, but last year I took my wife's Corsa to Kwik Fit to get her a/c regassed. Hey give a guarantee that if they cant get the a/c to run cooler than it does they dont charge you. Now the key is they will ask you if there are any faults. Say NO or they wont regas it. Now if they manage to regas it, then great, you have a lovely cool a/c, but if they fail, they wont charge you, but you get a report on where the fault lies....
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

<DIV align=center>
<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #cccccc 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #cccccc 1pt solid; WIDTH: 98%; : white; BORDER-TOP: #cccccc 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #cccccc 1pt solid; mso-cellspacing: .6pt; mso-border-alt: solid #CCCCCC .5pt; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 1.8pt 1.8pt 1.8pt 1.8pt" border=1 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width="98%">
<T>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes">
<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #cccccc; BORDER-LEFT: #cccccc; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1.8pt; PADDING-LEFT: 1.8pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1.8pt; : #fbfbfd; BORDER-TOP: #cccccc; BORDER-RIGHT: #cccccc; PADDING-TOP: 1.8pt">
</TD></TR>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 50.4pt; mso-yfti-irow: 1; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes">
<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e1e3ec 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e1e3ec 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1.8pt; PADDING-LEFT: 1.8pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1.8pt; : #fbfbfd; HEIGHT: 50.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #e1e3ec 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e1e3ec 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 1.8pt; mso-border-alt: solid #E1E3EC .25pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid #E1E3EC .5pt" vAlign=top>
<DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0.95pt">

</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

<TABLE style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" =tableBorder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 align=center>
<T>
<TR =msgableSide>
<TD>Air Con not working!
Posted: 27 May 2012 at 10:41pm</TD></TR>
<TR =msgableRow>
<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0px" =msgLineDevider height=84 vAlign=top>
<DIV style=": left; OVERFLOW: auto" =msg>

Kwik fit is a good one for this. Not sure if they still do this, but last year I took my wife's Corsa to Kwik Fit to get her a/c regassed. Hey give a guarantee that if they cant get the a/c to run cooler than it does they dont charge you. Now the key is they will ask you if there are any faults. Say NO or they wont regas it. Now if they manage to regas it, then great, you have a lovely cool a/c, but if they fail, they wont charge you, but you get a report on where the fault lies.... http://www.chevroletownersclub.co.u...k+fit&PID=5209&title=air-con-not-working#5209
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that. I might try Kwik Fit if they are still doing that.

Does anyone know if it's something you can see - I'm assuming if there is a path for a stone to hit it, then at least some of it must be visible - am I looking for something like a small radiator?

If it is that it sounds like it may get expensive - you would think that if a part is susceptible to damage it would be protected. I'm certainly not going to stump up without some sort of fight.

·
Super Moderator
7,465 Posts
Chilluk, the heat exchangers/condensors cum 'radiators' are located at front behind the grill. On mine (LTZ) I have four; presumably engine coolant; aircon; oil cooler; gearbox cooler. I have not traced which one does which but quite sure that one of our 'automotive members' will clarify if I've got it wrong. Point is however, stone damage is one of those events that could affect windscreen, headlamps, radiator etcetc and I guess we all live with that risk. Not sure that a 'protector' would be practical as it needs airflow to cool the refrigerant. To stop stones would stop airflow! That said, I notice that the honeycomb front grill is 'straight line' where as previous vehicles I have had have had a 'tilted' or 'angled' honeycomb which just might defect or reduce the velocity of a stone. Aluminium mesh behind the front grill might be an answer .... but would reduce free airflow with negative consequences.
Finally, I dont think you are likely to see any puncture eveidence other than a small squashed or a shiney flattened area of fins. They get damaged but not always punctured. Think you may have a tough call on this one.

Aussie Ed

ps: my previous post of course should have read Uk doesnt look as if it will get any summer!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the problem in a\c pipes or condenser. Maybe you have a leak.

a\c system is very simple:

Chevrolet 2012, Captiva sport - u.s., Body mounting-air conditioning-audio/entertainment, 2012 LF A/C REFRIGERATION SYSTEM (LEA/2.4K) (ZL09-124)

Chevrolet 2012, Captiva sport - u.s., Body mounting-air conditioning-audio/entertainment, 2012 L A/C & HEATER MODULE ASM (ZL09-113)

If you have a warm strong air flow when aircond is on ""” it's probably a leak. If flow is weak and not so cold as you want ""” problem is probably in inner radiator.
Edited by: Sandello

·
Registered
58 Posts
Kwik fit do indeed offer to try and re gas the air con and you only pay if they fix it, approx £50...dont tell them that you have a prob tho, as advised, I just said it didnt get as cold as it should!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts