Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My Captiva 2.0 LS has manuel AC.But if I put switch to a windshield or legs+windshield ( in a manual called defrost) than AC is switched in automatic mode. In this mode AC is almost always turned onn for the reason of demisting of windshield.
Since there are low temperatures outside it is not very pleasant to drive with AC onn, even it is for a few minutes. Temeprature switch is placed at warmest on the scale, but anyway wihe AC is authomatic onn, cold air is comming from holes.
Spoke with Garage but they say that there is no option to turn off AC in this mode, neither hardware or software.
I suggest to cut the wire but they advise if they cut the wire that AC compresor will be disconnected and in the summer I shuold come aggain to reconect AC compresor.
They say that all new cars, Aveo, nubira, All new opel are with the same connection, manuel AC but with automatic mode for defrost!

So anyone have similar problem and solution how to easily bridge AC in this mode?

·
Registered
476 Posts
The only way to dry airis to pass it over a heat exchanger which is below freezing to take the moisture out of it [why your fridge frosts up] the air should then be heated because warm air can hold more moisture, so demisting your windscreen. So this is what happens when you turn on the cars demist. If the car vents are blowing cold the fault is in the heater side not re-heating the air flow, not the air-con which is doing its side of the job. If your arm itched would you cut it off!!!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Big Al said:
If your arm itched would you cut it off!!!
No that would be stupid, you sort out an itch on your arm by cutting your leg off, thought everyone knew that ....

Back to the demist... That's the way it works.

It does the same in mine, which has the climate control a/c (LTX), and did the same in my previous cars, an S-Type Jag, a Volvo S80 and a BMW.

However, as Big Al says, if the heater control is set high (in the RED) then the air coming out should not be "cold" as a result of the A/C being on, just dehumitiated (if there's such a word) and a little cooler than if the A/C was not on, but not so cold that it becomes unbearable.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Is it only cold at first or does it remain so- the manual a/cI don't think has an auxiliary heater as the climate models do?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will chack later.To be honest I have 2 year old kids at back seats.
So at the moment of dehumidation I keep theswitchposition till window is cleaned ( 30 sec max)from humidity and immediate switch to front holes.
I have opportunity to drive the car alone, so later I will check for how long and cold will be.
I will put the heater and the end of red - hotest and will do the test :)

·
Registered
652 Posts
To be honest, I'm not that impressed with the heating controls compared to the other cars I've had. I feel the difference when on "auto" (ie. cooler) than if in manual, although as I said, not cold, just a little cooler, so I push the temp up a few notches when in auto to compensate. In the winter that is...

Saying that, I'm mostly in manual with it blowing to the screen as well as "body" mostly, as it will mist up really quickly.

Also, not impressed with heating/air con to the rear seats. In other cars I've had (Jag, Volvo, BMW) I had ventilation vents in the rear as well, so the back seat passengers could enjoy air con in the summer and warm air in the winter. The Captiva relies on it wafting from the front, which isnt very good really.

·
Registered
652 Posts
K.L.Richards said:
It does the same in mine, which has the climate control a/c (LTX), and did the same in my previous cars, an S-Type Jag, a Volvo S80 and a BMW.

Sorry I have to correct myself... I was 110% sure it did the same in my Captiva, as I'm 100% certain it did in my other cars also

However, I've been out tonight and made a point of checking, and the Captiva (I have the climate control) didnt put on the AUTO when I selected the windscreen demist. It did knock off the "air con" function and speeded the fan up accordingly, but when I knocked it off, all the climate control settings returned to where I had the set, fan speed as well.

I checked this out then, when the climate control was in manual and automatic, and after the demist was switched off, everything went back to the settings they where.

I suppose this is how you'd expect it to work. So sorry if I misled you earlier.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I use mine in manual mode all the time- it's not manual though as it uses the air con automatically even when it's off to cool the car if the internal temp goes above that on the display. I think that contributes to the poor fuel economy too...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Just one thought, is the engine heating up OK.If the cooling thermostat is sticking or passing the engine or heating system is not going to warm up correctly. Start the engine and allow to run for quite a while till the temp gauge starts to rise, now go to the radiator keeping your hands well away from the fan and just check that the radiator is still stone cold, if not I expect you have got trouble with the thermostat.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all friends
for their posts.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Probably I was little
wrong.

So after I read
some of posts I do some checking's while I was alone in the car.

Probably the
problem with cold air while windscreen demist, was with me - I was not placing
the potentiometer deeply in red zone, probably in the middle zone on the
beggining of red. And that was the problem with so much cold air in the cabin.

Placing deeper
in red hot air is coming in the cabin and the windscreen is cleaned in few
seconds.

Any way I am
not satisfied with this operation because the consumption is UP while AC is on
( even for few seconds).

Thank you any way for sharing everything with me.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Thought it was common knowledge that MPG is reduced with Air Con on....

You cant have the penny and the bun you know.

With Air Con on you are using more power, that has to come from somewhere and is "paid" for by reduced MPG. The fact is, even putting the radio on will reduce your MPG. Carrying the spare wheel, reduces your MPG. The weight of the rear seats reduced MPG, so better strip them out if not using them....... see what I mean.

I suggest you go back to the way I had to demist my windscreen many many years ago when I started driving and there wasnt AirCon and demist in cars. You wipe it with a cloth, then crack open the driver window by about a 1/4 inch, of course open the window using the window winder not by pushing a button on an electric window, as that reduces MPG.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hmmm, I just leave the heating on Auto all the time :).

There are a few things that bug me about the heating/AC in the Captiva though.

First is that there is no way to point the vents away from the driver. You always get air blowing directly on you, the vents just physically don't swivel enough. Then on Auto the fans never goe completely off. Another is that in wet weather the windows always mist up unless you use the demister, even with just one or two people in the car.

I previously had a Peugeot and most of those things worked better in that. Although in the Pug the heater went on full blast at -20C before the car was even slightly warm...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts