Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 57 Captiva has developed an intermittent problem with the alarm. 30 seconds or so after locking the car with the keyfob, the alarm goes off. After unlocking and re-locking a few more times, it will finally keep quiet. I'm sure it's done this with both sets of keys so I don't think it's a keyfob issue. The car doesn't get used very much and I'm wondering if there's a failing battery in the alarm unit. Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Might be worth getting the battery checked out- dropping voltage might be the cause.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I've still got the sensors taped up and not getting any false alarms. I can't be bothered with the expense of leaving it with the dealer again - the two pieces of sticky tape have already cost me £80! I'm thinking of possibly removing the wires as a permanent cure. Hopefully this will not cause any other issues.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for any confusion, I had already posted elsewhere that the dealer thought it was either the internal sensors above the interior mirror or the tilt sensor. Taping up the sensors have proved that they were indeed to blame as all has been fine for many months now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wish mine had been that simple mate. I unplugged and removed the sensors completely, and still got the same fault. The most frustrating thing is I am an electronics engineer, and if I had the drawing for the electrics, I'd be able to fault find it myself, cos the muppets at the dealers sure can't.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to hear that. Maybe it's your tilt sensor or a door/bonnet/tailgate sensor at fault. Alarms are a pain. What's the point of therm? Everyone ignores them anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been having the same problem with my captiva ltx 2008 it started 2 weeks ago unfortunately it has drained the batterycausingit not to start to make it short battery car change though it would solve the problem but itsstillpersistent so now im exploring other solution to it my question is do you mean the two round black one above the rear view mirrorsorry to be a pain because im not sure if its the right one i would appreciate any reply thanks a million.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Johnboy said:
No, I've still got the sensors taped up and not getting any false alarms. I can't be bothered with the expense of leaving it with the dealer again - the two pieces of sticky tape have already cost me £80! I'm thinking of possibly removing the wires as a permanent cure. Hopefully this will not cause any other issues.

I was actually referring to johnboy regarding taping the sensors near the rear view mirror which is 2 black round which appears like small speakers

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm sure that it's the internal sensors mate. Pressing the button on the roof disables the internal sensors in case you want to leave your pet (for example) in the car, and don't want the sensors to detect the movement.
When I press the button, the alarm never false alarms, so logic would dictate that therein lies the problem.

As you say, everyone ignores them anyway, so I would love to find a way to completely disable the **** thing. I have had the Sounder disconnected, so at least the neighbours don't get the constant irritation in the wee hours.....

I am due to change my car for another new one shortly, and I will definitely NOT be getting another Captiva due to this problem. Shame though as everything else about it would have meant I would have got another without question.

Off to check out the Volkswagen forum.........

·
Registered
997 Posts
I had the same problem- I removed the lamp pod in the roof and disconnedcted the sensor- no further alarms!

·
Registered
997 Posts
I take it that's not your problem then...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Seems not bigiainw
......I reckon it's either the wiring from the sensor to the ecu, or the actual ecu itself. However, it's around 350 quid plus fitting to renew, and the Dealers are unwilling to change it with any guarantee that it will solve the problem.

To be honest, i'd happily pay it if I new it would work.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same for me. My 09 has misbehaved a lot last month. Only yesterday went off once mid afternoon. Switching off the internal sensors cures it but then no protection in the bad big city!

Doesn't do it at night, only in bright sunshine. I think its heat in the car sets it off?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Try opening the vents. Internal sensors work on air pressure, so on a hot day, air pressure inside fhe cabin will increase. Posted on another thread how internal sensores work.

http://www.chevroletownersclub.co.uk/forum/false-alarm-triggering_topic791_page3.htmlEdited by: K.L.Richards

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mine only goes off when parked against brick walls over about 7 feet high, and when trucks or cars drive past with deep resonating exhausts it goes off immediately, having the boot cover rolled out makes it even worse.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts