Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have an 09 plate 1litre matiz which is just out of warranty (June 2012). Just before the warranty expired I experienced a few problems. The handbrake and the battery warning light would come on then go back off. One particular day, all the lights came in and would not go out!! Engine warning ABS, handbrake battery oil etc etc. The car then died and would not restart. AA man came out and checked connections battery, alternator and all seemed fine. Without him doing anything car restarted and has been fine since, well until yesterday!! It was checked by garage I purchased it from but they only tried to read fault codes on a wee diagnostic thingy despite me telling them to check alternator!!!
Driving home handbrake and battery light came on and went off again, since then car is driving strangely. A sort of hesitation as if it loses power for a few moments. It starts fine and all electrics are working.

Posts I have seen here and elsewhere point to it being the alternator, but surely that cannot be right in a car this young and with such a low mileage (24,000). If it is I shall be complaining vociferously to Chevrolet as the car has a full service history and is only 1 month out of warranty.
My question is if it is NOT alternator what else could be the problem and what is the likely cost of replacing alternator.
Sorry for long post.

Edited by: carolannjo14

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello 'carolannjo14'- Please let us know what the outcome was to your supposed 'alternator' problem- we're all dying to know! I had a duff battery which left me stranded but indicator lights on the dash don't cater for flat batteries other than not lighting up. That was scary enough but easily solved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is this a common problem on the 09 Matiz?? Mine alternator went just before end of the manufactorer warranty in May 2012 and it went again on me last night, it has been draged away this morning - I am hoping the extended waranty I took out with Quicks will cover it!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi everyone just noticed this post when I was searching forum for exhaust problems!!Turned out that, yes it was the alternator, quoted £250 for a new one however got a reconditioned one for £80.
Garage of course did not want to know!!!! Now looking to source exhaust bit, front flexi apparently (whatever that is???) Why are all Matiz parts so expensive??????????????????

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I am currently having very similar problem with my 2012 orlando Automatic. Been noticing loss of power, and when going up the most smallest gradient it's power drops and then big kick down when the service flattens.

Done a check o and battery and said unstable battery 15.8volts idle. Took to garage had the alternator changed to new one.

Im not still havi g the same problem overcharging and battery unstable us done a diognostic today and this codes came up

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,457 Posts
Sallyann, I have already responded to your semi duplicate post in the Orlando Forum.
Quite why you have posted here in the Matiz Forum I dont know ?

I believe there are probably two totally different issues here.

The screen shot you provide appears to me to have no bearing whatsoever in respect of overcharging and refers to Antilock brakes.
My 'other reply' provides a possible cause of engine power loss. We need dedicated GM diagnostic Trouble Codes please. Read my response in your Orlando entry '2012 Alternator Issue' .

For the alternator issue I suggest you refer back to an experienced Auto electrician.

I would suggest that all further discussion be directed to the Orlando Forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts