Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Captiva is due in for its annual service this month, has anyone got any garage recommendations for in and around the Sheffield, Barnsley and Rotherham areas.Thanks

·
Registered
997 Posts
If your car is still in warranty, regardless of the anti monopoly rulling, I'd go to a dealer. If not, find a good local independent. The Captiva can be self serviced- I've done it myself, but the fuel filter is a bitch to get at/off. The rest of the job is relatively straightforward. Going rate at the dealer is about £250 inc vatwithout brake fluid or coolant renewal.
Edited by: bigiainw

·
Registered
153 Posts
Be careful when you take it to a dealer. My one also has a Vauxhall franchise, and it was a young Vauxhall trained technician that did my service. The lad did everything on his checklist, unfortunately the checklist was for a 2011 model, I have a 2010 model registered in 2011. The 2011 model does not require a fuel filter, an air filter,and more importantly a bi-annual timing belt check, as the 2011 model has a timing belt. I had marked various items which had to be changed and noticed that they had not been touched. I pointed out the forgotten items to the service adviser, the car is now back in the garage getting these items done plus my headlamp washer and cd player. The service dept were not aware of the change in models. I was, but I wonder how many other owners are not aware. My point HM is check what should be done, mark these items and check after the service (before leaving their premises). Check the oil used, my garage uses Mobil 1 5-30, Chevrolet would prefer 5-40 however as I live in Scotland the weather temperature very rarely reaches 30 degrees never mind 40 degrees! Good luck.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Evo, its the bottom end SAE 5w compared to 15w which is more relevantespecially in cold temperatures, more damage is done to engines in there first five minutes warm up period till clearance become correct, plus what is the difference in cost to say castrol edge, could that be a factor in the garages choice.

·
Registered
476 Posts
BEL, evo, bigiainw and myself no longer have to bother with the edge acea c3. we have had our DPF's removed, but you are spot on with the W [winter]figure forcold temperatures should be5w, or even better 0w for you lotnorth of the border.
Just read your post again evo, MOBIL1--- 5w
sorry when I read it quickly itlooked like mobil 15w, sorry I persume thats what bel thought also.
Edited by: Big Al

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yes the oil is Mobil 1 5w 30. This is the same grade that is used in my Audi A4, my Subaru Legacy B4 RSK and my son's Seat Ibiza FR. The Subaru is the only one that I can touch therefore the Seat garage uses Quantum oil and the Audi Castrol. I know I can trust the Audi garage, but I had to tell Seat that the oil used by the garage in Fife was wrong, they contacted the garage to getthe 10w 40 gradechanged (free of charge) and have also written to my son telling him that he will get his next annual service free of charge. PS. Seat also asked me if I wanted a job as I knew more about engine oil grades than the service dept in Fife!

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
evo 370 said:
Seat also asked me if I wanted a job as I knew more about engine oil grades than the service dept in Fife!

This comment regretably seems to sum up the disappointingly (disgraceful) level of so called expertise that we as owners have to put up with and pay for from dealers who are supposed to know better.

My vehicle goes in for its first 'annual' service tomorrow (8th) at a different (new'ish) Chevy dealership as the original supplier has lost its Chevy franchise. I shall be doing a bit of silent assessment and keep my fingers crossed. First impressions by prompt and courteous emails seem promising. Time will tell.
ps: I am supplying the oil so I will know what goes in!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Aussie Ed said:
ps: I am supplying the oil so I will know what goes in!
Are you going to stand over them and watch them pour it in?!

Otherwise they might say to themselves, cor this is the expensive stuff, we'll keep that back for ourselves and chuck in some cheap stuff! Or, they might say, this blokedoesn't trust us to do a decent job and supply the correct lubricants, so i'm going to do a shoddy service, and confirm his preconceptions!

Just saying....

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
JBG, I take onboard your concerns but I was invited into the workshop (spotlessly clean). They returned to me the 0.1 of a litre that I had over measured. They also voluntarily undertook a recall update (of which I knew nothing about - not the current brake fluid recall) and fitted tow bar/electrics etc all pre-booked at my request, so went and 'shopped' Cambridge for rest of the day.Have to say that courtesy, friendliness and general 'gut feeling' gives me reassurance that they might well be a decent, honest dealer. At first sign they are not I'll moan like **** and vote with my feet.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Aussie Ed - i suppose all i am saying is that at some point you just have to trust that they will do the job they are supposed to do, and as long as you have the stamp in your service booklet the warranty stays live, and you have all the available comebacks if something goes wrong. Totally different scenario for a vehicle out of warranty.

Sounds like you've got a decent dealership where you are Aussie Ed, have had no complaints with mine either, yet!

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
JBG, I had to 'remind' them to specifically mark the service log book 5-30 Dexos2 C3 which they did.Yes looks like good dealership.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad you found a decent dealers Aussie Ed, got mine booked in with an independant garage who came highly recommended, bloke I spoke to worked for Vauxhall originally so knew about the Cap and what oil to put in it. Plus a helluva lot cheaper than what Perrys quoted me and no voided warranty.Just need to get CD player sorted now, just dosn't want to play sometimes, right pain in the neck

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Haggismuncher, re your CD player spasmodic problem on 'play'; - might seem an obvious comment but have you tried running a 'cleaning disc' through it?
. Worked wonders on a previousvehicle of mine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not tried that Aussie, might give it a go. Thing is with mine, its like it dosn't recognise theres a disc in, won't even eject it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts