Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dpf light came on so started to take it for a run.then dpf light went off and then code 84 appeared.
I've disconnected the battery as I know it can help. And even though its generic code 84 I would expect this to be a dpf issue. So when I get to fully diagnose the issue I will let you know.
Wishing myself good luck and a cheap easy fix.

·
Super Moderator
7,390 Posts
Hifi, There are literally dozens of existing discussions on Code 84 (277 according to the Forum Search function with many of them associated with dpf).
Possibly you could have built your entry as a follow on or inclusion to one of them without creating yet another Topic title on the same subject.
Fragmentation of the same topic makes hard work for Forum readers.
As you have recognised in your post, code 84 is very much a generic code and could be one of many possibilities. Full diagnostics codes is the way to go.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is what I bought for my orlando cost 45 quid from amazon. It does clear the code and regen restarts but then goes back to code 84 so I'm hoping if I buy some dpf cleaner and spray it in the dpf and give it a good clean along with some fuel additive it might just shift it

·
Super Moderator
7,390 Posts
I think an additive to the Fuel is more likely to be the best solution. It will 'clean as you drive' over a period of time, where as products sprayed into an exhaust system exit more or less as quickly as they go in! Where abouts are you in UK. I've still got an unused bottle you can have if you are near Suffolk. TRIPLE QX High Performance DPF Power Clean 375ml | Car Parts 4 Less

Do remember of course that DPFilters dont have an infinite life. Your vehicle data indicates a 2012 model but not mileage. There comes a time when it may be necessary to consider getting the DPF professionally 'cleaned out'. Whilst DPF cleaners might help soot burn off, they dont remove the residual 'ash' which builds up until the filter is virtually choked up. Ash can only be removed by mechanical means.
The truth of the matter is that if a diesel vehicle with DPF 'burn off technology' is only ever used for short journeys around town, school runs etc, it will always suffer from DPF soot accumulation because high enough and long enough journeys are never achieved for the 'burn off' process to complete.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks aussie that's very kind of you to offer but dont live near you unfortunately.
But on a positive note dpf all clear.
My car has only done 63.000 miles fsh.
So hope this will help others. As mentioned I bought a code reader and tried yesterday but kept going into limp mode.
So today got some wynns dpf cleaner and bought V power fuel (£1.53pltr🥺) and took it on the motorway stayed in 5th at 60mph and limp mode came up once cleared fault regen started again and after 10 mins regen cleaned and cleared car all sorted I do hope this might help someone else as it was a very cheap fix.pls anyone get a cheap code reader they are worth there weight in gold.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts