Chevrolet Owners Club banner

Anybody got any advice for dtc P2453 ?

23K views 37 replies 8 participants last post by  Martyn warren 
#1 ·
Hello I've got the code P2453 which I think is down to the dpf and EML is lite . I've taken it for a good spin and used wynns dpf additive in it and it's still the same so has anybody got any tips of what to check for before I take it to a garage .I have read it could be split hoses or even clogged hoses going to the dpf or most likely knowing my luck it will be that the dpf is full..my scanner can not tell me how full my dpf is .so any tips would be a great help .. cheers

#2 ·
my list says.....

<table width="100%" ="MsonormalTable" style="width: 100%; mso-cellspacing: 0cm; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184;" border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
<t><tr style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes;">
<td style="padding: 0.75pt; border: rgb0, 0, 0; : transparent;">
P2453
</td>
</td>
Diesel Particulate Filter Differential Pressure Sensor Performance
</td>
</tr>
<tr style="mso-yfti-irow: 1; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes;">
P2453
</td>
</td>
Diesel Particulate Filter Differential Pressure Sensor Performance
(Signal Invalid)
</td>
</tr>
</t></table>

#4 ·
Failure of the sensor or failed wire was my first reaction. How to test - not got a clue unfortunately.more info here: -
Symptoms & Severity This code should be considered urgent, as it indicates conditions that could lead to internal engine or fuel system damage. Symptoms of a P2453 code may include: Diminished engine performance Excessive black smoke from the exhaust Increased engine temperatures Higher than normal transmission temperatures Causes Potential causes for this code to set are: Clogged DPF pressure sensor tubes/hoses Faulty DPF pressure sensor The diesel exhaust fluid reservoir may be empty Improper diesel exhaust fluid Open or shorted circuit/s in the DPF pressure sensor A circuit Inept DPF regeneration The active DPF regeneration system is inoperative<br style="-sizing: border-; font-family: verdana, sans-serif; : rgb221, 221, 221;"><br style="-sizing: border-; font-family: verdana, sans-serif; : rgb221, 221, 221;">Read more at:https://www.obd-codes.com/p2453<br style="-sizing: border-; font-family: verdana, sans-serif; : rgb221, 221, 221;">Copyright OBD-Codes.com

The illumination of EML is simply a spin off from the sensor cause and illuminates as additional warning of potential engine damage if 2453 is not rectified.

Edited by: Aussie Ed

#5 ·
Well I think i might have found the fault , one of the hoses going to the dpf has a 10mm split in it that would give wrong readings to the dpf sensor , so does anyone know where I can get one of these hoses from I've searched the net and can't find one and I bet its a special rated one to cope with heat from the dpf , on youtube theres a video of some mechanic fixing one on a Antara and he said the dealers sell it in one section which has all the metal pipes attached which is typical and he said it cost £180 well for a piece of 10" hose I do not wanna be paying that !!!!!but at least this will fix it ,, fingers crossed .

#6 ·
You can replace the faulty hose with reinforced rubber fuel hose, don't worry about the heat, there's no constant flow through it. There's two sizes, 6mm and 8mm roughly equivalent to 1/4 and 5/16 inch. Should be able to get it at the motor factors stores.

#7 ·
Well spotted Antony. To verify if this split is the cause you could bind it with self amalgamating tape. Then clear the codes using your OBD2 reader (which I hope has clearing function - most do) and then take for a drive. If codes and EML dont come back then you've cracked it and can proceed to replace hose(s).This sounds like variation of my EML lamp which picked up additional air input via the failed throttle body gasket. All these sensors are too darned smart and a pain to find source of cause in many instances.

#9 ·
Thanks Ed for the idea of patching it temporary , ill give it a go only thing is I can feel that the pipe does have a lot of crunchy debris in it and this might give dodgy reading to ,we'll see what happens .

#11 ·
The funny thing is I have taken pictures to put up on here but when I added picture I selected a wrong photo and it won't let me delete it and every time I put a new post and select add pictures this same wrong picture comes up already selected.does anyone no how to deselect a picture ?

#12 ·
themink said:
The funny thing is I have taken pictures to put up on here but when I added picture I selected a wrong photo and it won't let me delete it and every time I put a new post and select add pictures this same wrong picture comes up already selected.does anyone no how to deselect a picture ?
After you log in: click on Member Control Panel and click on File Manager.

File Explorer shows a list of all your images / photos. As you scroll through these you will see them in a preview window, once you find the offending picture just delete it. Once deleted you can attach the correct one to your post.

#14 ·
Here are some pictures of the location of the split dpf pressure sensor hose which is attached to the dpf , there are two tubes one to sense inlet pressure and one to measure oulet pressure , on my vehicle only one hose was split , I then removed the spilt hose from the car ,one of the clips holding it in place was easy to get off by squeezing with a pair of pliers but the other had a strange clip which only came off by pulling it with brute force .I then replaced with some 8mm reinforced fuel line and put two jubilee clips either end , the cost was £6.30 for this and not £180 vauxhaul want for the entire system, If it does split again I still have 90cm left of fuel line to make many more repairs.
hope this helps someone with the same fault code I was getting , it has now cured this fault .

#18 ·
Yes, great detective work. It is slits like this that are hard to find/see if they are on the 'wrong side' of a bend and not in direct line of vision. Not always easy if you are laying on your back on the driveway!

#19 ·
Seeing as the original was a shaped hose, you might find the straight hose replacement will kink and flatten. To correct this, cut a spare piece of hose to the right length (use the orignal hose as a template) and fill it with sand then blank off the edges. Now wrap copper wire around the outside of the hose and shape it as required. Suspend it in a pan of almost boiling water for a while (30 minutes or so). Let the hose cool overnight, remove the wire and you should find the hose will retain its new shape.

#21 ·
themink said:
Wow Victor how do you know so much stuff. Great tip I will certainly try it as I was worried about it kinking .thanks

Although he doesnt tell us, I suspect he is (or was) a motor mechanic/engineer. Little give aways like photos of engines etc are not the sort of thing the average bod keeps on his computer unless connected with the industry in some way.
Whatever way you look at, it is this shared knowledge from folks like Victor, BEL, Scouse-Mafia etc along with our own individual 'little bits' (often learnt the hardway) that make this forum so useful.

#22 ·
I'm sure Victor did mention that he was a mechanic...perhaps even worked on the Antara??either way certainly worth picking up really good tips and advice on here from those that know.
the kinky hose (for want of a better phrase) is another good one

#23 ·
themink said:
Wow Victor how do you know so much stuff. Great tip I will certainly try it as I was worried about it kinking .thanks
The quicker alternative is winding a stainless steel spring up the inside of the hose to stop the walls from collapsing but I figured carbon from the exhaust would collect around the spring and eventually block the hose.

#24 ·
Wouldn't reinforced silicon hose also do the job ? I used this Samco one on my Rover Ti to replace the failed turbo coolant return to radhose (having originally used some fuel line as a bodge, which gradually failed over time as it wasn't designed to carry hot liquid).
It's not the cheapest hose out there, but a lot less than the quoted GM price, and a lot less fiddly for us mere mortals cf Victor

Samco completely flexible hose:

End pic showing laminated construction:

Construction includes metal wire,presumably tohelp maintain integrity under more extreme bending angles:

#26 ·
Victor said:
Well done Pinkie, don't see any reason why not - provided you can get it small enough. It needs to be 6mm and 8mm internal diameter.
Yeah, that pipe in my photos is (was)available in a variety of diameters, can't recall the smallest. The 8mm you can see in the first photo refers tothe internal diameter. Other colours (were) available, I chose that BRGish colour to match the Epsom Green of the Rover (pearlescent BRG with gold flecks).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.