Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wondered as we seem to have more new posters here, but the posts seem to be slowing down...

I know I'm not, and since I've got that annoying P02E1 error sorted, I've fallen in love with my Captiva all over again... Cant wait for some snow

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'm fitting my snow wheels and tyres today!! It's bloody cold up here!
So to answer your question, no, I couldn't be happier. Had a long run on deserted roads on the way back from a gig on Saturday night and the captiva was superb.

Iain

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been planning to get spare wheels and fit them with snow tyres, but decided against it at the moment. Not sure that we get enough snow to justify it, and to be honest the Captiva performed very well on the level of snow we had last year in South Wales, and that was alot.

Getting 4 new tyres on Saturday, could have lasted another few months before they where illegal but thought wiser to change before the weather does. Hopefully this will make it even better when the white stuff comes....

·
Registered
997 Posts
I had no issue getting going on the snow last year, it was my experience of trying to stop that convinced me. My wife's car had snow tyres on (it's 2wd) and it was better almost than the captiva in getting going and miles better at stopping, and that was with just snow tyres on ther front. I have a set of spare wheels with the tyres fitted so it's no issue to do. It was expensive (although i got 4 brands new wheels for £110 on fleabay) but as I look at it, spreading the ware will make my summer tyres last longer too, so it'll even out over the next couple of years.
Iain

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought the same... but as I said, decided to hold fire this year and just get 4 new tyres.

You said you got snow tyres... What type and size. Also what size wheels, is there anything that had to be done to recalibrate the speedo, etc...

Cant remember the model you have, but mine is the LTX with 18" wheels (235/55 R18). I couldnt find any specific snow tyres of that size. Not exactly true, only ones where Kwik Fit had Michelins, but that was going to put me back nearly £800. Hence my decision to just get 4 new... Those being Khumos at £125 each, garage doing all 4 at £105 each.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My plans are to mount winter tires next week. Although I have several annoying
problems with my Captiva, I can say that I also love my Captiva and this vehicle
is all that I need at this moment

·
Registered
476 Posts
Going onto winter tyres soon but want to put them on to 16" rims. Can get a better winter tyre on the smaller diameter,[also better prices]going for a luggy block tread for the snow if we get any, alsoplenty of "sipes"in the blocks,and a good below 7 degreecompound for cold dry roads andice grip. Change the profile to compensate for the smaller rim diameter so as toincrease the overall tyre diameter,[ as on the LS captiva standard fit ]

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Big Al, so if you go on 16" rims, what size tyre do you need, so that it is the same as 235/55 R18. You obvuiosly done the maths...

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers Big Al, interesting what combinations you can get..... mind you trying to find the tyre then is just as challenging

Of course the wheel size has also got to be considered, as not all wheels will fit. I suspect that is why you have gone for Captiva 16" rims ?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Rims 6.5 or 7J. 16". pcd 5x114.3 or 5x115. ET positive 46mm. wheel bore 70.1or larger, and use hub spigot rings to size. I think that's about right.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Haven't been in for a couple of days- I have an LTX and a spare set of LTX alloys. I went for 235/60/18 marrangoni meteos from mytyres.co.uk- good balance of cost versus effectivness according to the reviews. The little extra in the rolling radius will simply sort out my speedo reading so it is right, rather than 3-4 mph down from where it should be.
Iain

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Iain, ok, that increases the rolling circumference, and hence, as you say 3-4 mph. But doesnt it also have an insurance issue.

I'm nervous of giving the insurance cowboys a way out, especially as the risk of a bump is increased in the winter (ie snow).

·
Registered
476 Posts
You have to be allowed 10 % because of the accuracy of the speedo and the fact by pure tyrewear the diameter changes and gives those type of discrepancies.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Understand that... I was refering to the car spec of tyre being 235/55 R18 not 60 profile.

Doesnt that give the insurance a way out, stating you are not running the correct profile tyres.

The could argue that handling is not as good, as it will have increased tyre roll.... Lets be honest, they would avoid paying out, if the ashtray was full, if they thought the could win the arguement that a full ashtray adds weight hence alters the cars properties outside of the design spec.

Only playing devils advocate here, not judging...

I was wondering about this myself, as if you can get away with 60 profile, it opens new avenues for winter tyres.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts