Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I am at my wits end and hoping someone in the community can help me.

Last year I purchased 2012 Orlando LTZ VCDI. It had 140k miles, high I know, but was in immaculate condition and drove well. I was looking for a quirky family car that would be well equipped for long journeys between Belfast and the north of Scotland to visit family, it ticked all the boxes and was going well for the first couple of months...

The car started showing error code 86 randomly for a couple of days but there was no issues when driving and a small amount of smoke when revving hard. My mechanic diagnosed a leak in the EGR cooler and it was replaced along with the valve. The code stopped displaying but hours later the car started blowing white smoke. The car was reporting an issue with the EGR valve and this was replaced again but the smoke continued.

My mechanic suggested a regen which was done but the smoke kept coming. He went to investigate the cat but we found that it had been removed by a previous owner! There is nothing in the codes pointing to an issue and in despiration we have also done a full service and replaced the turbo but still no joy.

There is a bong from the car then the smoke starts, no codes or engine lights come up.
My mechanic is completely stumped and there is no Chevrolet garage/dealer in Belfast.

I am at my wits end with it, I really don't want to get rid but if I can't get it sorted it won't pass an MOT and it will be off to the scrapyard. Any help the community can offer would be much appreciated

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts
Reason(s) for different coloured exhaust smoke is explained in the following link : - Diesel engine problems: black smoke explained.
EGR replacement or clean would have been a typical item to consider for black smoke.
Removal of DPF will require recoding of various components electronically. This is discussed in the Forum and you can use the Forum Search index to read up.
It sounds like incorrect fuel regulation (possibly if the electronics have not bee n recalibrated).
You mention 'done a full service' .... did this include new injectors? Failing injectors can cause noises and incorrect fuel volumes.
Removal of DPF will breach MOT and MOT testers are instructed to be on the look out for this now.

To read up previous topics use the Search Function. How to do this is included in the following Guidance Link

Other members may well have other useful suggestions.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Like Ed, I am assuming that it is the DPF that has been removed, rather than the Catalyst? But that is not clear from your post, since your mechanic suggested doing a regen, that would imply that the DPF was in place. It's hard to see why the Cat would be removed, but the DPF left in place since the DPF is by far the more like to cause trouble, and the most expensive to replace, hence the reason they get removed. Removed or tampered DPF is as you know, an immediate fail at MOT, as is a removed or tampered Cat (but I know that empty cat box cars do slip through tests).
White smoke from a diesel implies excessive fuel to air ratio, in which case the exhaust will stink of unburned diesel, since the white fumes will be diesel vapour. Alternatively white smoke means water vapour, or head gasket leaks, but I would assume your mechanic has checked for that and discounted it.
Please clarify: Cat removed, DPF removed, or both?
Doing a "Regen" with no DPF present would indeed dump loads of unburnt diesel into the exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts
Metro, I'm glad you are as confused as me. I couldnt work out whether it was the Cat which had been removed or the DPF (or both). Clearly whichever or both are missing the vehicle will not pass MOT (we are assuming that Orlando 88 is UK based - the forum system believes UK - but the Member hasnt completed his Sign-Up and we only have the Ireland to Scotland association).
Replacement of the missing component(s) is I think the first step. The question is whether a 2012 vehicle with 140,000 miles has sufficient value for the probable expense to make this vehicle mechanically road worthy.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well I just had a look at www.cats2u.co.uk and the 2.0 Orlando Diesel is listed at £500, and is a Cat/DPF combo unit, so if one is missing, they both are!
It would be odd if this has been missed by the mechanic, and even more odd that you would replace an expensive component like a turbo without being 100% sure of the diagnosis. Also, the Cat/DPF sits on the front of the engine hanging off the turbo, high up in the front of the engine bay, so if it was not there or substituted with some piece of pipework, it would be very obvious to both a mechanic or an MOT inspector. If it has had the guts taken out of the unit and welded back up, and not fitted with the required "cheats" for the Oxygen sensors and pressure sensors , then it is anybody's guess what might be going on.

A photo from the OP would be helpful.

Worth doing? I'm the wrong person to ask really with a 96k 12 year old Aveo in pieces having a couple of new exhaust valves. Even doing it myself the parts and new tools bill will be about £150.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts