Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had experience in having AT tyres fitted to their Captiva? I have been thinking about getting some on the front of mine soon as I quite often go off road on farm fields and really rough tracks. I had a lucky escape yesterday as I tried to be clever in the snow on a private lane, lets just say I managed to save face in front of my son

I was chatting to a guy in the supermarket car park yesterday morning, he was in a 3.5 V6 shogun SWB and he had some serious looking tyres, I asked him about them, they were TOYO tyres and he was of the impression that they generally don't wear, they have to be changes because the side walls perish before anything else??? Sounds a bit far fetched but I though I'd ask on here of your experiences.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Would not advise mixing AT on the front and leaving sports on the rear although being on different axles. Also there is AT tyres like winter tyres and there is the more radical ones with large profiles which you would be struggling to fit a Captiva. Also the tyres are great for s--tkickers but at the expense of noise, comfort, grip, and rolling on the bends, also if you use the Captiva as a SUV for highmotorway speedscompared to a countrytractor you will see how long they last. Not even going down the road what your insurance would say at mixing your tyres!.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Clearances are also fairly marginal and bigger tread blocks such as those on AT tyres might cause fouling. I would ask, if your determined, to have one fitted and see how it goes clearance wise before commiting.

·
Super Moderator
7,465 Posts
bel said:
' at the expense of noise, comfort, grip, and rolling on the bends, also if you use the Captiva as a SUV for highmotorway speedscompared to a countrytractor you will see how long they last.
Bel, I think you have summed it up for HandyAndy. Personally I wouldnt even think of going the seriously chunky look unless you plod around a farm everyday. Grip on highway is poor and wear rate is super quick. Only way a tyre lasts a long time is extra hard compound which can have negative points on comfort and possible early death of shocks. If you want something for better off road grip try looking up Cooper Tyres - they claim generally to have deeper tread (at a price).

·
Super Moderator
7,465 Posts
These are what you call TYRES!!!

<div style="color: rgb80, 0, 80; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;"><blockquote>

No More Whitewalls!

No more Fix-a-flat, no more air compressors, no more spare tires, no more auto jacks, no more tools rattling in the trunk

Will it reduce the price of cars?

Will it reduce the cost of roadside service?

Coming soon!

They have been testing these for several years now.

Resilient Tech was developing them for the military.

Amazing new tires

Michelin Tires... Absolutely SCARY looking

...Look for 'em in August. These tires are made in South Carolina , USA .

SEE THROUGH TIRES

Radical new tire design by Michelin.

The next generation of tires.

They had a pair at the Philadelphia car show

Yes, those are 'spoke' like connections to the inner part Of the tire from the outside tread 'wrap!'

The next picture Shows how odd it looks in motion

Makes you wonder how the ride feels doesn't it?

These tires are airless and are scheduled to be out on the market very soon.

The bad news for law enforcement is that spike strips will not work on these.

Just think of the impact on existing technology:

A. No more air valves.. B. No more air compressors at gas stations... C. No more repair kits.. D. No more flats...

These are actual pictures taken at the South Carolina plant of Michelin.

</blockquote>

<div style="color: rgb80, 0, 80; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;">

·
Super Moderator
7,465 Posts
Sorry guys.... the written content has copied across but the pics haven't. I'll work oin it!!

·
Super Moderator
7,465 Posts
Try Again.... Pics this time.

These are seriously tough looking tyres.

·
Super Moderator
7,465 Posts
Last try for Pic.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your replies, the noblies are not the look I'm after. More just the heavier grip. But I must admit those new see through ones are quite radical and plenty grippy looking :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
sI have snow tyres on my Audi and Subaru, as yet I have not bothered to get an extra set of wheels tyres for my Captiva. I purchased my Audi's tyres from mytyres on the net. They are Sunny's, they were cheap, but very good in the recent snow, and are very good in the rain. I would recomend them to anyone. On the insurance note, Admiral (Audi) thanked me for making my car safer in the winter, Saga (Subaru) wanted to know everything about the tyres, including who fitted the to my spare alloy wheels!

·
Registered
997 Posts
I wonder if they are underwritten by one of the biggies and therefore don't appear as they're part of Aviva or somesuch?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got a full set of Toyo Open Country AT tyres on my Captiva as Ineed to go down some poor quality farm tracks and we also get a lot of snow where we are. So far I've had them on for about 4 months and they've worked really well especially when we had the last dump of snow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts