Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

I've got the famous xmas lights showing for my abs,traction,wheel sensor lights showing at me.
I've ordered another ABS Module but was wondering whats the best way to tackle this to remove the old one and reinstall?

I know it has to be bled and something to do with reprogramming (i think) however if it's going to be a bit more complex ill get my mechanic to do it but thought I could change it to save some labour $$

I've tried searching google but it doesn't give too much info. I know when I wanted the poart number for the ABS Module I moved the fuse box a little bit, and the power steering, coolant bottle but whats the best way to tackle this?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Chevrolet Captiva Service & Repair Manual: ABS Control Module R&R

Chevrolet Captiva Service & Repair Manual / Brakes / ABS Control Module R&R

Caution: Always connect or disconnect the wiring harness connector from the EBCM/EBTCM with the ignition switch in the OFF position. Failure to observe this precaution could result in damage to the EBCM/EBTCM.
Removal

1. Place the ignition switch in the OFF position.

2. Remove the underhood electrical center.

3. Without draining the coolant or removing the hoses, remove and position aside the radiator surge tank.

4. Clean the electronic brake control module (EBCM) to brake pressure modulator valve (BPMV) area of any dirt or debris.

5. Disconnect the EBCM electrical connector by lifting the locking lever upward.

6. Disconnect the LF brake pipe fitting (1) from the BPMV. Cap the brake pipe fitting and plug the BPMV outlet port to prevent brake fluid loss and contamination, Fig. 1.

7. Carefully position aside and secure the brake pipe to provide clearance for removal of the EBCM.

8. Remove the four EBCM bolts (1), Fig. 2.

9. Carefully pull the EBCM (1) from the BPMV. Do not pry the components apart, Fig. 3.

10. Remove the 12 EBCM seals, if necessary.
Installation

1. Install the EBCM seals, if removed.

2. Install the EBCM to the BPMV.

3. Install the EBCM bolts and torque the bolts in a cross pattern to 27 inch lbs.

4. Position the LF brake pipe to the BPMV.

5. Connect the LF brake pipe fitting to the BPMV and torque to 16 ft. lbs.

6. Install the radiator surge tank.

7. Install the underhood electrical center.

8. If installing a new EBCM, program the EBCM.

9. Without starting the engine, place the ignition switch in the ON position.

10. Perform the diagnostic system check.

11. Observe the feel of the brake pedal after performing the diagnostic system check. If the pedal now feels spongy, air may have been in the secondary circuit of the brake modulator assembly, which may have been introduced into the primary circuit. If the pedal feels spongy, perform the antilock brake system automated bleed.

Fig. 1

Fig. 2

Fig. 3

Antilock Brake System Diagnosis & Testing
1. Verify that following areas function as designed: a. Battery is fully charged and cables are clean and tight. ...

ABS Hydraulic Control Unit R&R
Caution: Always connect or disconnect the wiring harness connector from the EBCM/EBTCM with the ignition switch in the OFF position. Failure to observe this precaution could result ...

More about:
Chevrolet Captiva Owners Manual > Vehicle Checks: Engine Coolant
The cooling system in the vehicle is filled with DEX-COOL® engine coolant. This coolant is designed to remain in the vehicle for 5 years or 240 000 km (150,000 mi), whichever occurs first, if only DEX-COOL extended life coolant is added. The following explains the cooling system and how t ...

© 2021 Copyright www.ccaptiva.com - 0.0101

·
Registered
19 Posts
@mrvdv you were 100 % sure it was the module's fault? Did you had coolant leaks on it?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@mrvdv you were 100 % sure it was the module's fault? Did you had coolant leaks on it?
Mechanics stuck a scan tool on and they can’t access the abs module as it says no communication. I don’t know if there was a leak or not but won’t know until I’ve changed the module

·
Registered
412 Posts
This could be due to their software not supporting the abs system, have you tried another workshop?
If you suspect the module, send it for repair if you replace with a used one there is a risk that the new must be paired with the car by software.
Id suspect wiring to be the cause more then the module.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I have gone to a different workshop and same thing..no communication with module. The new module I got from a wreckers will be programming this module. When the battery is reset then the abs lights stay off for a few times but will randomly come on starting 3 times or so

·
Registered
412 Posts
Are the lights turned on now as we speak if you would start the car?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Ok do you have any pictures?
It should just be to loosen the torx screws and pull it out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you end up needing it, I’ve got remove/install instructions with pictures I can copy for you.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you end up needing it, I’ve got remove/install instructions with pictures I can copy for you.
thanks, got the mechanic to install it for me.. now im having fun and games trying to suss codes out lol as apparently all wheel speed sensors are rooted lol.. then sometimes 2 traction lights still stay on while abs and (cant remember the other one) goes away

·
Registered
20 Posts
thanks, got the mechanic to install it for me.. now im having fun and games trying to suss codes out lol as apparently all wheel speed sensors are rooted lol.. then sometimes 2 traction lights still stay on while abs and (cant remember the other one) goes away
I believe there are two types of wheel speed sensors. Ones you can measure the impedance of directly, and ones you can’t… I’m not sure if they are interchangeable with ABS module. What model year car did your replacement module come from? There are other things that can cause the wheel speed sensors to play up such as cracked tone wheel on the hub axle, damaged wiring etc, but all 4 of yours going at once sounds like a compatibility issue…

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im not sure.. as the years suited 09/06-02/11 however the part number matched my VIN so that wasn't a issue there.

I'm replacing the wheel hubs and having new sensors put in anyway (as its going for a roadworthy).
Sometimes when I start the car up, it will show just traction lights but then sometimes ABS and the yellow downhill light with the traction lights.

No codes come up when the traction lights are on.
Might just have to block the traction lights/abs lights out when going for a roadworthy...

·
Registered
20 Posts
That’s really odd… if after fitting new hubs and sensors, and clearing stored faults, you are still having those issues, I’d maybe suspect your replacement abs unit is faulty as well. Perhaps the anti skid module Which is in the same box As the abs module... Or something else that could be common is damage to the wiring out of the ABS unit out to the wheel speed sensors. Do you live anywhere that is seeing the mouse plague at the moment? Ive seen plenty of cars with damaged wiring and rubber components due to the mice…

1 - 18 of 18 Posts