Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<TABLE style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" =tableBorder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 align=center>
<T>
<TR style="MIN-HEIGHT: 200px; HEIGHT: 200px" =msgableRow>
<TD =msgLineDevider vAlign=top>
<DIV =msg>Hi, I have a ltx diesel auto and have been reading about others poor fuel consumption like myself. One thing with the auto doing 30 on the flat it holds on to the revs and keeps its self in third gear, when the engine would be still quite happy in fifth and return a little more economy. Is it possible to remap a gearbox settings. Now if that is not possible I could over come it by putting it into manual, the only thing is and I do not know if my car is at fault but I can manually change down and rev the b------s off it, but try to change up and it does not like it, say again if I was doing 30 if I manually changed up I would be lucky for it to change up to fourth even then I would have to speed up a bit first and I certainly would not get fifth also if the speed dropped a little I would be back down to third again. How is that manual changing when the auto side of things takes over although I can make it rev on the changing down side of things, any thoughts thanks.
</TD></TR>
<TR =msgableRow>
<TD =msgLineDevider>
<DIV =msgSignature>Al
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<TABLE style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" =tableBorder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 align=center>
<T>
<DIV =msg>Hi, I have a ltx diesel auto and have been reading about others poor fuel consumption like myself. One thing with the auto doing 30 on the flat it holds on to the revs and keeps its self in third gear, when the engine would be still quite happy in fifth and return a little more economy. Is it possible to remap a gearbox settings. Now if that is not possible I could over come it by putting it into manual, the only thing is and I do not know if my car is at fault but I can manually change down and rev the b------s off it, but try to change up and it does not like it, say again if I was doing 30 if I manually changed up I would be lucky for it to change up to fourth even then I would have to speed up a bit first and I certainly would not get fifth also if the speed dropped a little I would be back down to third again. How is that manual changing when the auto side of things takes over although I can make it rev on the changing down side of things, any thoughts thanks.
</TD></TR>
<TR =msgableRow>
<TD =msgLineDevider>
<DIV =msgSignature>Al
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<T>
</TD></TR>
<TR =msgableRow>
<TD =msgLineDevider>
<DIV =msgSignature>Al
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<T>
</TD></TR>
<TR =msgableRow>
<TD =msgLineDevider>
<DIV =msgSignature>Al
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<DIV align=center>
<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #cccccc 1.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #cccccc 1.5pt solid; WIDTH: 98%; : white; BORDER-TOP: #cccccc 1.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #cccccc 1.5pt solid; mso-cellspacing: .7pt; mso-padding-alt: 2.25pt 2.25pt 2.25pt 2.25pt" =MsonormalTable border=1 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width="98%">
<T>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 300pt; mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes">
<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e1e3ec 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e1e3ec 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2.25pt; PADDING-LEFT: 2.25pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 2.25pt; : #fbfbfd; HEIGHT: 300pt; BORDER-TOP: #e1e3ec 1.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e1e3ec 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 2.25pt; mso-border-alt: solid #E1E3EC .25pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid #E1E3EC 1.5pt" vAlign=top>
Hi, I have a captiva ltx diesel auto and have been reading about others poor fuel consumption like myself. One thing with the auto doing 30 on the flat it holds on to the revs and keeps its self in third gear, when the engine would be still quite happy in fifth and return a little more economy. Is it possible to remap a gearbox settings. Now if that is not possible I could over come it by putting it into manual, the only thing is and I do not know if my car is at fault but I can manually change down and rev the b------s off it, but try to change up and it does not like it, say again if I was doing 30 if I manually changed up I would be lucky for it to change up to fourth even then I would have to speed up a bit first and I certainly would not get fifth also if the speed dropped a little I would be back down to third again. How is that manual changing when the auto side of things takes over although I can make it rev on the changing down side of things, any thoughts thanks. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have looked up the shift speeds for the auto box and they are.........

1-2 gear11-14 mph
2-3 gear 19-25 mph

3-4 gear 37-41 mph

4-5 gear 52-55 mph

So if you are in a 30 mph zone you wont get out of third gear or ifyou are in a 40 mph zone you wont get out of fourth gear, unless you manually shift.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Brian, yes that's the gear change speeds I am getting, and after looking into it a bit more I don't think its on trying to remap the autos ecu because apparently if you go for lower rev changes it can upsetother things. Also regarding using manual mode it only helps a bit, it just enables you to change up one gear slightly early, so you could not select 5th manually doing 35, also if you slow down a littleit auto changes back down. there is a note in the manual that says the system may not execute certain gear shifts when the selector lever is operated. So unless any body has any ideas I don't think I am going to get any more MPG from a more economical gearbox route !!!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brian, where did you get info like the shift speeds from. Always looking for moreknowledge about the captiva it seem to be a bit thin on the ground, and my car comes out of warranty soon, thanks Alan.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi Big Al, I searched the web for a free download of the Captivaservice manual and managed to find one. I can't find the link for it though. If I find it I'll post it on here. All the specs for the Captiva are in it.
It sounds like your gearbox is working "normally" mine is the same I manually shift up to 4th in a 30 mph zone this drops the revs by as much as 500 as does shifting upto 5th in a 40 mph zone. It wont go any higher than 4th at 30 mph and will revert to an auto change down if you drop speed but if you are still in manual mode it will stay in the gear that it has auto downshifted to, that has caught me out a couple of times on say a roundabout where I come out of the other side and accelerate and wonder why the thing is revving like mad and then I realise its still in manual

·
Registered
214 Posts
My car was the same it felt like it was holding onto gears too long my chewy dealer looked at it and said they updated the soft wear in the box mine is a 57 plate it made a differance not huge but still it did help !

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that Captivamondo, so there is different soft wear settings for the auto box ecu.Knowing that I can be a little more forceful in trying to get something done. The dealer has to be pushed into doing warranty work, or it could be Chevrolet with tight purse strings unless forced. I had a battle over having a regular flat battery, apparently it was my faultas I wasnot driving the car enough. I had another meeting with them asked them asked them what actual checks had been done to the battery and alternator [check for diodes leaking current etc.] and explained i was an electrical engineer] it was booked in for a new battery straightaway. Its funny but after the battery was fitted I had know more problems with exactly the same driving patterns. Pity they make you fight for your rights, going to put another post up tonight regarding a long battle I have been over my handbrake to see if any body else has experienced it before I go see the dealer again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, first post, I have 5 kids and wanted a safe car for my wife to
drive. So Captiva auto 7 ltx was the answer, after a bit of homework, good ncap
and mpg (lol). it has done 11k, in 3 years and is now coming to the end of it's
warranty. no rear washer, no handbrake and rust on the rear tailgate. I have
tried everything to increase mpg, remap, chip, driving in manual mode and no
joy. I had a Nissan terrano for 5 years with no problems. I will never buy
another Chevrolet (shove it) again, and that's all I can say. hope you all the
best, and I will get shot of it as soon as I can. All the best Steve

·
Registered
652 Posts
Steve, sorry looks like you got a "bad" one...

Really please with mine. Had a few hick-ups, but that was the way the dealer dealt with it, rather than the car.

Sorry to hear that your problems have tarnished your thoughts on the car...but I can understand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts