Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my colleagues is going to change my transmission fluid and the filter.
But there was no gasket with the filter, and after a few calls to (ex) chevrolet garages, they all said that there is just a liquid gasket used in the factory, but my colleague has never seen this before on transmissions in his 30+ years of experience :)
Is this correct or will it probably leak?

·
Super Moderator
6,531 Posts
I've no personal strip down experience on the GM gearbox but it is very possible.
There is no 'gasket' as such on the sump for example. That is sealed with a 'mastic'.
We have members who have stripped down gearbox so I expect they will advise from their experience.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've no personal strip down experience on the GM gearbox but it is very possible.
There is no 'gasket' as such on the sump for example. That is sealed with a 'mastic'.
We have members who have stripped down gearbox so I expect they will advise from their experience.
Hi, I suspect your gearbox isn`t a 6t45 like mine as the filter is located inside the box, but anyway the lower steel cover where the drain plug is located on my gearbox is sealed with liquid sealer, there is no gasket. Hope this helps. Howard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Deebo. I assume you have the 5 speed gearbox. Do you know what the model number of it is? I’ve searched and can’t seem to find much info on the 5 speed, unlike the 6 speed 6T45.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts