Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Captiva 2.2 VCDI AWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel as though ive been to every corner of the internet to find information and yet cant find much help or advice about this car / engine

Ive looked through this site and found similar discussions, ie smaller engine, later model etc but it would seem there are many variations between engine sizes and year. I have a 2012 2.2 VCDI LTZ AWD Captiva and the Aux belt was yesterday just strands away from snapping fully. A humongous clatter and rattle with the smell of burning belt has resulted in the start of a strip down. Ive exposed enough of the covers to be able to sketch a diagram of the belt which ive attached.

Im DIY with averagely goodish mechanical knowledge, but not at all a mechanic, let alone a garage! and after a quick look, its too much to fix on the driveway! What id really like to do is try and identify what has seized and what was causing the clatter! Temp was average, P/steering was still there and no fluid lost, there 'wasn't' an issue with charge! So to save on the repair bill, Id like to release the belt and see which of the aux wheels are seized, or sticking.

This little son of a money pit has pilled on the ££££ over the past 12 months and I need to get as much stripped down as I can. Only then ill send it back to a garage.

Id really like some help if possible with diagrams or videos that can help with the careful removal of the belt. The space to work is not even wide enough for a hand, let alone standard tools. Id rather not cut it off. Any links or any personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,465 Posts
ChevCap, Firstly well done on completing your Sign-Up location and vehicle details first go.
For some unknown reason 9 out of 10 new sign-ups dont complete or tell us where in the World they are nor info on their vehicle which makes the old crystal ball work overtime!

I had an auxiliary belt / pulley issue identified quite by chance when my vehicle went in for the notorious front engine cover seal failure. In stripping down for that, they identified the (pending) failure of one of the pulleys. I dont know which one but the photo in the following link discussion was taken by my (then) dealer.

I have no diagrams or other data than that mentioned in the following link:-

Good luck in getting yours fixed.

·
Registered
2012 Captiva 2.2 VCDI AWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update. Mobile mechanic came to have a look and it took him only 15 minutes to identify that the A/C compressor had seized. In the picture above, the AC compressor is 'bottom right' and sits at the front of the engine.

There are 2 options to fix this issue, firstly the 'New' replacement part is not available until late November with his supplier and he has quoted £450 + 2 hours labour, plus AC re gas etc so it will cost a total of £650. Interestingly, the other option which he has advised is that a smaller belt can be fitted to bypass the AC compressor as a temporary solution! This he tells me can be done straight away for about £75.

I am choosing the first option, but will look around a bit to hopefully find one that is affordable or alternatively I will look to source a second hand part.

Hope this helps others in the future

·
Registered
315 Posts
Update. Mobile mechanic came to have a look and it took him only 15 minutes to identify that the A/C compressor had seized. In the picture above, the AC compressor is 'bottom right' and sits at the front of the engine.

There are 2 options to fix this issue, firstly the 'New' replacement part is not available until late November with his supplier and he has quoted £450 + 2 hours labour, plus AC re gas etc so it will cost a total of £650. Interestingly, the other option which he has advised is that a smaller belt can be fitted to bypass the AC compressor as a temporary solution! This he tells me can be done straight away for about £75.

I am choosing the first option, but will look around a bit to hopefully find one that is affordable or alternatively I will look to source a second hand part.

Hope this helps others in the future
Thanks for the update!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts