Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a 1.2 2009 which has just done 120,000 miles, with a few issues but generally OK. Recently it has an intermittent problem changing from 1st to 2nd. It only does it about 1 in 50 changes but when it does it is like the gear stick is stuck in first and won't move, also at the same time you can hear the engine pulling back.
I have lubricated change mechanism in terms of the lever and cables but i think it is maybe gearbox? Spoke to garage who said maybe synchromesh related. It only does it 1st into 2nd and only once in a while but it is not the best feeling never knowing if you are going to have to fight to get it out of first..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not sure if its the same gearbox as the Kalos 1.2 which has change gearbox oil every 20 thousand miles in the handbook after initial 10 thousand miles.
May be worth checking to see and possibly get the oil changed if it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, I think these originally said no change required ever but after 120000 am thinking it's probably past its best... My main concern is trying to fix it without it becoming a scrapping issue..
cheers for the reply

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
Concur with JMCroft. First port of call for any gearbox problem is change the oil. (or ATF in the case of Automatic boxes). The cost of doing so pales into insignificance compared with the cost of subsequent damage.

Sitribe, As a new Forum Member the following link will provide helpful information about the Forum especially how to complete your Sign-Up world location (believed to be UK), and where to insert your vehicle details. You left both these sections blank in your Sign-Up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks will have a look
Any steer on where the relevant plug/filler is for the transmission, might help with the fun of lying underneath it this weekend, in the fine UK winter

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
I dont have an Aveo but this topic is readily listed and easily found on the internet. Took me 15 seconds to type and find.
Read the info below the video, There is an upper plug for adding and a lower plug for the fluid level, but it doesnt actually mention a bottom total drain plug. It may be a case of manual extraction using a handbulb & tubing extractor. (typically Eurocarparts item LAS3719)

·
Registered
454 Posts
It's as JM Croft describes it, 10k and then every 20k. It's in the manual and the service schedule.
Mine has been changed 6 times. I've never felt any massive deterioration between changes, the main "sympton" is a general development of mild differential "whine" from about the 12k point getting a bit noisier as the change point at 20k approaches. The gear change itself just gets slightly "choppy", like you have beaten the synchromesh on a fast gear change. All of these symptoms vanish when the change is done, and the cycle then repeats.
The drain and fill points are easy to find and see. I'm away from home (with one of the other cars) at the moment, or I'd post a picture. You need either a 10mm or 11mm drain key ( I forget which). A 3/8" is too loose. The grade specified is not common, use the nearest commonly available, it's fine. Capacity is 2.1L, but mine always needs just under 1.8 L.
I refill by means of a length of tube and a funnel tied up by the water header tank, and fill very gently over an hour or so.
It's not common to change gearbox oil this frequently now, so I suspect many have never been done, and as they don't often hit high Mileages, it goes unnoticed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thanks, didn’t get a chance to look today as had to do some work on my motorbike….
Will have a look tomorrow, if you get a chance to post piccies of where drain and fill are I would be really grateful
Thanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok thanks, didn’t get a chance to look today as had to do some work on my motorbike….
Will have a look tomorrow, if you get a chance to post piccies of where drain and fill are I would be really grateful
Thanks again
I have had a good look and can see both fill and drain plugs, both look like a square drive in them. Next question, drain looks relatively easy to get to. Fill looks like I need very long arms….any tips on the best way to access it? I can get to it from above I think?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts