Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Aveo has been showing an ABS fault for months now, what started as an intermittent in October 2020, became permanent by December. While not inherently dangerous, it needed fixing as this is a busy car, most days doing 100-190 miles, and would need to be sorted for the next MOT test. I also got chastised by the "super moderator" for posting a picture of my car here, clearly showing it in motion, with an ABS fault!

First to get checked was the wheel sensors, this is an easy job, and consists of unplugging them in turn, poking thin wires into the connectors, attaching them to a low voltage (2V range) AC voltmeter and spinning the hub. If there is any output on the meter at all, then the sensors are most likely good. All were checked, and all found good.

Working under the car, I then had a look at the reluctor rings (ABS rings) at the front of the car. These were badly corroded and the offside one was cracked.

Here is the replacement sequence. If you have one of these cars with this fault, please read on, even if you do not intend to do it for yourself, due to the design of the car, it is a simple job, and does not require a lot of dismantling, if you are quoted more than 2 hours for the work, then look elsewhere.

The reluctor rings were ordered from www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk , cost £7.40 for 2, shipped and arrived in a couple of days.

Loosen wheel nuts, jack up the front of the car and support on axle stands, remove wheel.

Unstake the axle nut using a fine chisel or old screwdriver, and bolt on a locking bar, turn steering as appropriate (see pictures). The axle nut is a 32mm, so you will need a suitable socket. It is not excessively tight but will need a bar extension. Loosen it, but do not remove it.

Remove the 2 bolts holding the caliper piston, and hang the caliper up behind the strut. Then remove the 2 bolts holding the carrier, and remove from the car.

Use an impact driver to remove the countersunk screw holding the brake disc in place. Do not attempt to remove it with a standard screwdriver, it will chew up and cause you trouble!

Remove the brake disc.

Next remove the two 12mm bolts holding the hub carrier to the strut. This is the most difficult part of the job, as the exposed threads will be rusty and swollen, and the bolt head will be corroded too. I used a 17mm twist socket to get a hold of the bolt end as spanners and sockets kept slipping due to corrosion. I cleaned the nuts and bolts up, but will replace them at some point. You may shear them off during removal. If you do, then you need an M12 x 0.75 thread min 60mm part threaded bolt. These bolts are in shear, not tension, however to be safe, use a 10.9 bolt and NEVER use stainless bolts.

Pull the hub carrier away from the strut.

Remove the axle nut.

Apply a 2 leg puller to the wheel nuts and the end of the axle, and gently push it off the splines. It isn't tight, but you will need a puller to disengage it.

Push the axle hard back against the gearbox. You will then find that you can manipulate the axle out of the hub completely, this is why it is easy, there is no need to undo either the lower ball joint or the steering ball joint. ( I did undo the ball joint nuts, but didn't remove them as they were well stuck and it was clear by then that there was no need to).

Remove the old ring, check for a match against the new one and then clean up the mating surface with a small drill mounted wire brush.

The new ring will not quite fit. It is an interference fit, so warm it up on the gas stove/ blowlamp for a few minutes, holding it with some fine nosed mole grips, and then gently tap it into place.

Now loosen the brake reservoir top, and push back the caliper piston fully before re-assembly, it's a push only type, not push and turn. Use a suitable pushback tool, or improvise.

Job done, now reverse the sequence and make sure the axle nut is done up properly and re-staked.

The ABS light will still be on, however as soon as you have driven 50m or so, it will self check, and will go out. Despite having a good diagnostic unit, I found it impossible to "talk" to either the ABS or SRS systems in this car. I'm not even convinced that they are all wired up together, either way, it's all good now!

Reactions: Victor

·
Super Moderator
7,390 Posts
Great write up - and pics too! Well done Metro1000

I echo your response Victor. Well done Metro.
Photo no2 clearly shows the broken reluctor ring with the 'break' at the 2 0'clock position.
These breaks occur as the ring and its mount rust. The process of rusting 'expands' the metal surfaces until - ping ..... the reluctor ring snaps.

I notice that the Aveo is one of the few GM models which Haynes have produced a repair manual for.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting that, last time I looked, they only did the print manual which is for the US spec ones only. In reality, the European spec Aveo is a very straightforward vehicle to work on, very little by way of special tools being needed and to anyone used to working on cars, no big surprises. It's one of the reasons I like the car, the others being comfort, reliability, and cheap to run.

That job was my warm up act on Saturday. It was followed by a cambelt replacement on a Peugeot 208 1.2 Vti 3 cylinder. It's a "wet" cambelt which requires a lot of top end stripdown to get to it, the most tricky part being the inlet manifold- access to the bolts holding it on is very tight and it is a very tight fit in itself, after that the job is not too bad, but does require a £23 camshaft locking tool and removal of the cam dephasers (VVT).

It seems that these belts fail early as the outside of the belt cracks badly, and sheds parts, and the inside and teeth do too, the belt does not break as such, but when enough material has come loose from the teeth, it loses timing anyway which is just as bad. This one was 77k/ 8 years old and was gone on the smooth side and between the teeth, but the teeth were OK. Seems the new ones are a bit of an improved formulation.

Took me two mornings work, and a couple of hours today buttoning a few bits up. Did it in between using the Aveo to deliver peoples groceries and parcels :LOL: . Client is happy as it only cost her £50.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts