Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a common fault for the gas struts on the back door to not lift the door to the full height?

I have noticed that when I open my back door and let it go up, it will generally stop about 3 to 4 inches short of all the way? Is this a common problem? Are the gas stays available from other than main dealer outlets?

·
Registered
226 Posts
hi,

i have had mine changed twice under warranty!!!,

if yours is out of warranty, try some light oil on the struts, and then open and close it a few times...

its a cheaper option than buying new ones!!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
In past posts its a common fault in cold temperatures the pressure in the struts reduce and does not push open the tailgate fully. In a recent post I warned people to make sure the screen wash should be full strengthconcentrate to avoid the rear screen line which is in the roof freezing and blowing the joints apart, another common fault, at the same time I should have added about banging your head because of the low tailgate sharpedge, with being tall the air turns blue every-time I forget.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers gents, light oil over wd40 or the likes? Or will the spray be suitable on the gas struts?

As for the sharp edge on the back door. Your not wrong, being over 6' tall myself, I understand where your coming from. The pain of cracking my head is now not as noticeable as the first 50 or so times

1 - 5 of 5 Posts