Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again.
Well I went to move my Matiz (Zippy) to fit the new rear hub and it wouldn't start, the battery being obviously flat.
I got the multimeter on the battery and lead which showed a leakage of 0.75 Amps dropping to 0.01A (10 milliamps) after a few seconds, which then remained stable. Battery was fully charged using my old Gunson charger and read 12.85 volts. Opening a door or turning on the interior light showed a reading of about 1.7 amps, so I'm thinking 10 milliamps is acceptabe (clock maybe?) I'm not too worried about it because the car had only been used occasionally because of the covid virus and I'd been testing the electric windows to fix that problem...
What's the opinion of others on what's an acceptable figure?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Since nobody answered, and I was playing about outside today, I measured the quiescent current on my Aveo (done by connecting it up via a high power 0.5 Ohm resistor and measuring the voltage drop across it and using V=IR to obtain the current). It was drawing exactly 10mA. I normally have a voltage detecting circuit in place that determines if the engine is running, to control the DRL's and some other supplies, with that in place, the current was 30mA, which is about what I recall it being when bench testing.

My sister's 2003 MGTF has a very high quiescent current, and as its used only occasionally, she has an isolating switch fitted, the clock stopping being less of a problem than a flat battery.

The Aveo has been parked since March, battery disconnected, and SORN, most likely until July. The battery is the original, now 11 years old, so has to be looked after a bit. My 508 was parked for about 10 weeks, battery connected, and EPB active. When I opened it up, it had gone into a "deep sleep" mode, presumably to save the expensive AGM battery, charged it overnight, EPB popped straight off no bother at all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Metro1000.
I thought 10 milliamps sounded about right, and too low to drain the battery quickly. It would be nice to know what the initial high current drain is powering though, but there are so many electrical components on modern cars I just wouldn't know.
Pete

1 - 3 of 3 Posts