Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So a few weeks ago, after a week of no use, I came to the Captiva and it wouldn't start. Battery was at 5 volts. Tried charging for a couple of days, with different chargers and voltage wouldn't go above 10V. So bought a new battery all appeared fine.

Today after 3 days no driving, the new battery was really low, jump started and it started running fine. voltage across the battery is at 13.1V when idling so I assume the alternator is okay (ish).

Only other electrical issue I've had is the rear washer motor stopping working. I'm assuming that should have no impact when the vehicle is stationary anyway.

Other then having spotted a note about cleaning fuse holder and connections I'm looking for suggestions on what could be draining the battery and potentially could have changed without any main indicators. I do have an OBD2 module lurking in one of the other cars that I could connect up, but I'm not sure it will help w.r.t battery drain when the vehicle is not in use?

I'd really welcome any thoughts.

·
Registered
813 Posts
No quick snappy answer. Could be a faulty module staying active and not going into sleep mode (alarm, EVAP, keyless entry, central locking etc) or a faulty alternator diode pack. Suggest you carry out a parasitic drain test first then start pulling fuses / relays to see if you can narrow it down.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to add to the fun and games, it died several times today, limp home mode then complete cut out. error codes P0003 and P0090, Fuel regulator issue.

Feels like this could be some fun and games in diagnosing an electrical issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts