Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi has anyone had same problem Both batterylight on dashpanel & handbrake light came on had battery checked been told alternator working it is Charging Battery car Not cutting out all lights working ..( 57 Reg se+) Thanks ..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi found out today alternator has packed in battery light and other lights flashing on dash

·
Registered
88 Posts
Experienced the same symptoms. Luckily, mine was just the battery. Odd that the handbrake light comes on with the brake light in a low voltage scenario. This seems to be designed - there's a diode linking the ground pathways of the charge and brake dash light. Not sure why though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey guys so switched on the engine this morning on my 2008 1.0 Matiz and lucky me the brake warning light and the battery light both stay on when the car is running. So from looking online and from previous posts I take it that this is more than likely the alternator has packed up or is packing up. Had a brand new rac battery fitted probably a month ago any suggestions on thoughts or anyone know how costly this is going to be for me?

·
Super Moderator
6,351 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quick update guys! Took the matiz to a garage on Friday they said they couldn't find a mechanical fault so referred me to an auto spark which I'm booked in for on Tuesday lights appeared to disappear for a day now when I am below 1000 revs or stationary with the engine running the lights faintly flicker

·
Registered
342 Posts
PhilStevens1810 said:
Quick update guys! Took the matiz to a garage on Friday they said they couldn't find a mechanical fault so referred me to an auto spark which I'm booked in for on Tuesday lights appeared to disappear for a day now when I am below 1000 revs or stationary with the engine running the lights faintly flicker
bad earth perhaps? maybe a corroded or nicked cable?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Phil the problems you mention suggest a fault with the alternator regulator or the carbon brushes that contact the rotor slip rings. Either of these upsets will require attention to the alternator. In the meantime your could check for loose connections at the alternator and the battery. If you have a multimeter to hand this should be set to 20 volts on the direct current scale and connected across the battery terminals. With everything turned off your battery voltage should provide read nearly 12.6 volts. With the motor running at around 2000 rpm the reading on the meter should be around 14.5 volts.In passing the battery warning light and the brake warning light are designed to come on with an alternator fault. In the event that the battery warning lamp fails the brake warning lamp acts as a backup to alert the driver. Good Luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just an update guys had the Matiz in the garage this morning garage have advised no fault with the alternator it seems when the rac have previously changed the battery and also when the previous garage had looked into the issue that it's the terminals haven't been connected back up properly!

·
Registered
342 Posts
PhilStevens1810 said:
Just an update guys had the Matiz in the garage this morning garage have advised no fault with the alternator it seems when the rac have previously changed the battery and also when the previous garage had looked into the issue that it's the terminals haven't been connected back up properly!
Thanks for the conclusion!

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi,

this is an old thread but just had this on my partners Matiz. It only does it when parking up after a trip and turning off the lights. rev up ad it goes away again.

Was a relief to see the diode they bizarrely fitted so the more worrying brake light comes on at the same time.

Bill

·
Registered
118 Posts
hi,

this is an old thread but just had this on my partners Matiz. It only does it when parking up after a trip and turning off the lights. rev up ad it goes away again.

Was a relief to see the diode they bizarrely fitted so the more worrying brake light comes on at the same time.

Bill
So if I have understood this thread right, when the alternator starts to go bad - the car puts the brake warning light on ? My first reaction was why not put the indicators on and honk the horn as well - lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts