Chevrolet Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Cheers Ed, i'll carry on looking, a lot I have looked at are 30cm+ in length, my battery tray is about 2cm shorter than this. The dealer have said they will 'see what they can do' about the mega priced battery that matches my dead battery. Sounds promising.

I'm currently using the battery we use for our 1973 VW Beetle until we get sorted.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If the dealer can't negotiate a real world price i'll give this one a try...
Brand:Ultra PlusBattery Type:086Voltage:12VCapacity (Ah):70Capacity (Ah):No<dfn style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; cursor: help; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: dotted;">CCA / EN</dfn>:680<dfn style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; cursor: help; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: dotted;">CCA / SAE</dfn>:720Terminal Type:Standard Round (Type 1)Terminal Layout:positive on Left (Layout 1)<dfn style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; cursor: help; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: dotted;">Height (mm)</dfn>:190Width (mm):175Length (mm):278Weight (kg):17.0000<dfn style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; cursor: help; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: dotted;">Construction</dfn>:Lead Acid<dfn style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; cursor: help; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: dotted;">Maintenance Free</dfn>:YesWarranty (Years):4

Edited by: Dave

·
Registered
192 Posts
Went back to dealers today for a refund, they could only offer me the EC07 battery that would fit for £160 so i've ordered the battery in my last post.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Dave said:
Went back to dealers today for a refund, they could only offer me the EC07 battery that would fit for £160 so i've ordered the battery in my last post.
A work colleague has a series 1 captiva and i asked him if he changed the battery, only done once and he bought from Tanya, exact fit.

Link below

https://www.tayna.co.uk/086-Numax-Car-Battery-P5738.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having the same problem finding a battery that meets the spec.Found a number of explanations on CCA thought the one here (http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/experience/power-source/what-does-cold-cranking-amps-cca-mean/) was pretty good.As despite trying to charge my 8 year old battery for 2 days it is just not holding enough to get the horse started, going to have to get one delivered, unless a pal might drop in!
From searching and based on your experience I'm ordering the same as you had also fromEuro Car Parts, if I can get the beast moving I'll go to them rather than wait a day for delivery. Web site is quoting £71.94 (online & click & collect only).

Regards
John

·
Registered
192 Posts
I bought the following in October and it's fine so far, it wasn't as tall as the original so had to add some padding under the battery securing bracket, I also removed the + and - plastic terminal cover assemblies in order to get a tight grip on the battery terminals, the Ultra battery terminals are sloped but the GM ones were not.

http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/4x4-batteries/086-096r-ultra-plus-car-battery/

If it lasts 8 years like the GM battery i'll be happy.

Edited by: Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
As Euro Car Parts only supply, dropped into Halfords on way as I have a trade card. Their system stated they had a choice of 5 suitable batteries from £99 to £179 before discount. Strange as 2 of them have the +'ve terminal on the wrong side!<div style="line-height: 16.8px;">As they fit for £10 I chose the Yuasa Silver HSB334 AT £119 (previously at £139) <ul style="list-style: none; margin: 0px 0px 15px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: 18px; font-family: arial, sans-serif; vertical-align: line; color: rgb51, 51, 51;"><li style="margin: 0px 0px 0px 15px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: line; list-style: disc;">Startup Power: 830 Amps<li style="margin: 0px 0px 0px 15px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: line; list-style: disc;">AH Value: 95<li style="margin: 0px 0px 0px 15px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: line; list-style: disc;">Bench Charge: 4.0 Amps<li style="margin: 0px 0px 0px 15px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: line; list-style: disc;">Average Weight (kg): 21.9<li style="margin: 0px 0px 0px 15px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: line; list-style: disc;">Dimensions (LxDxH): 303x174x222mm<li style="margin: 0px 0px 0px 15px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: line; list-style: disc;">Guarantee: 5 Years[/list]Previous posts refer to Ht issues (bonnetclearance?) and cables not reaching due to the 220mm Ht as opposed to the factory fit. The fitter reported can't do, cables just will not fit. He then proceeded to try each suggested battery (with correctly oriented terminals) to no avail!
Reported can't help you at all, sorry - so why does their system suggest these, needs correction!
Took a look noticed the cabling secured with ties to support tray, seemed releasing these there was enough play to make connection. Eureka! just enough!
All in all I'm a happy bunny, would have thought though that they would have looked as I did and seen the solution.
Since then have started the Captiva now 4 times, crisp and immediate start, pleased, and a 5 year warranty!

Missed one bit of info; my LTX 7 seater is an Auto box, do wish it had the 4WD option, but there we are!

·
Super Moderator
6,965 Posts
JohnKath, Useful comments. Goes to show the errors in the motor parts technical listings as well as totally wrong terminal positions, plus possible height issues, all conspire to make a simple task that much more difficult.

As for your comment about 4WD, unless you are doing some serious off road or exceptional pulling I dont think it is something that is a make or break. Mine has 4WD (upon demand) and I dont think it has ever come into operation in the four years I've had the vehicle! Think positive - with less weight not having the additional gear box drive train weight - you should have slightly better mpg.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,I'm a 'half full' rather than empty, and having had a succession of 3Ltr BMW's of various models (Co Cars!) The last being an X3 which I found very useful (we have 13 Grandchildren), so in moving into retirement, contemplating the purchase of that X3, I was surprised to see this Captiva with 7 seats at a price half that asked for the BMW. Under powered in comparison, yet I found overall a very good alternative on the test drive.
Having purchased I've been very happy, its never let us down, is a little thirstier than envisaged but one expects that from a vehicle of that weight. The body panels being a little thin, got dents all over it now thanks to other car park users!
Wife loves it, we all go camping in summer, meeting the family at the agreed venue, normally Dorset or Devon. So only the wife and I on the trip down, couldn't have got anyone else in! The wife takes near all but kitchen sink, all spaces had something stashed and the back was full to the roof! I refused to add the Roof Carrier Box!
Will be contacting Halfords Service/Technical Dept suggesting a methodology to fit description might be a useful addition on the web site. Can't be many Captiva owners trying them for a replacement, but surprised the suitability choice is evidently based on what appears spec only. Would commend the staff at Erdington, Birmingham for their efforts, and patience!
As for the polarity positions; I can't imagine the manufacturer swopping them around for any later models, so assume the more recent SII will have the same fitting issues.

·
Super Moderator
6,965 Posts
For anyone looking for batteries for Chevrolet vehicles in UK the following website is very useful and informative. It states sizes, capacity (power), terminal positions and type, etc etc

http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/battery-finder/car-batteries/chevrolet/

·
Registered
9 Posts
I hope it's okay to contribute to this thread with my experiences with Captiva battery replacement. I found all the information interesting and really useful.To cut a long story short, I could either get batteries of the correct dimensions but they were "underpowered" or batteries with an appropriate capacity but they were too tall.

I ended up buying an Accustart 250H from a local motor factors. It's the same as this but the lead version rather than calcium: -

http://www.batmanuk.com/Products/120684-250h-premium-battery-maintenance-free-enhanced-starting-powercalcium-technology-3-year-guarantee.aspx

The dimensions are really close except the height is about 3.5 cm taller. The Ah is virtually identical as the factory battery (91AH) but the CCA is down at 740A rather than the factory 912A
I got a battery clamp from the local scrapyard and extended the clamping bolts with some 6mm threaded bar and connecting Nuts from screwfix. It fits fine and there is plenty clearance under the bonnet.
I hope this helps someone. I've had 3 days of lugging a battery around Halfords and various other shops!

Edited by: Jimbob5

·
Super Moderator
6,965 Posts
Helpful info Jimbob.For anyone catching up with this thread one of the problems has been finding a battery for the Captiva that doesnt have reversed terminals (then the leads are too short) or suitable rating that is too tall (fouling on bonnet).
The correct battery is out there - you just have to find it - noting by the way that very often the 'flick-over' guides in the motor parts stores are in fact incorrect!!
There is I understand a difference between Series 1 & Series 2.

Helpful tip Jimbob; add your vehicle data ie year/series/auto/manual etc to your footer (signature box on set up page) and your vehicle info will appear automatically under your posts. Currently we dont know from your post which year/series Captiva you have.

·
Super Moderator
6,965 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Chevrolet Captiva LTX 2009
I fitted a Yuasa YBX 5116 it has exactly the same footprint as the original so no need to make any changes to the cable lug lengths or hold down clamp it was a straight swap.
Original Delikor 90Ah CCA 916
Yuasa YBX 5116 90Ah CCA 800

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx5116/

£104 all in next day delivery

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Spot on Sontaran

Go to the below

https://www.tayna.co.uk

One of the most professional amazing value battery suppliers on the market. They know there stuff and are super professional and helpful.

They advised me to buy this

YBX5116 YUASA SILVER HIGH PERFORMANCE CAR BATTERY 12V 90AH

Install it with the terminals at the top and it works perfectly. Its the same size as the Delkor and fits without any adjustments whatsoever.

Thank me later folks ;-)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Battery fitted to Captiva 2.2LTZ

Here some extra capacity for serial 2.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Battery fitted to Captiva 2.2LTZ

Here some extra capacity for serial 2.

My battery needs changing as I keep having to recharge it.
Is the Exide EK950 from the factory or it comes with a GM one?

21 - 40 of 52 Posts