Chevrolet Owners Club banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,965 Posts
GC, How old is the battery you have? Have you checked that the Alternator is providing sufficient charge?
If using the battery selector charts check the following (i) careful on size , some are too high on the terminals (ii) check the terminal positions because they can be 'reversed' on some models and the leads are then not long enough.

Reactions: gcmarcal

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't know how old is it. If was GM I would know is the original.
I left charging overnight and tomorrow I am going to check the voltage with a multimeter and at the same time check the alternator output.

Aussie. Do you remember if your original battery was GM branded or Exide?

·
Super Moderator
6,965 Posts
Very often batteries have a date code on them. What type of charger are you using? It is possible the plates are 'sulphated'. If so you need a 'pulse' type charger which will loosen the sulphate off of the plates. Remember also that cold batteries are sluggish and even more so it the acid to water ratio is low.
From memory my vehicle was supplied originally with an ACDelco battery.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Very often batteries have a date code on them. What type of charger are you using? It is possible the plates are 'sulphated'. If so you need a 'pulse' type charger which will loosen the sulphate off of the plates. Remember also that cold batteries are sluggish and even more so it the acid to water ratio is low.
From memory my vehicle was supplied originally with an ACDelco battery.
Thanks! Tomorrow I will have a look on the battery to see if there is any manufacturing date. I checked the service record of the card and there is no mention of the battery being replaced. I

·
Registered
747 Posts
If you're doing a lot of short runs, especially in the winter time, it might be worth disabling the Smart Charge on your Captiva. Just remove the current sensor from the battery terminal and it will allow your alternator to give you full charge all the time.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Maybe this is the answer. I work 2 miles from home and before the weather became horrible I was walking to work.
I left my charger overnight and the battery is fully charged. I will do a voltage test this afternoon and see if there are more problems.
Unrelated issue the foam separator from the hood froze and came out. I will have to glue it back! :(

·
Registered
295 Posts
Update: Battery shows at 12.40 Volts during normal estate and 13.20 volts when the car is on will all possible accessories on!
I thought I would get away without buying a new battery, but now all of the sudden the car cranks but does not start! :(

I put the charger again to see if it will start but the battery was still showing over 12.4 volts!

I really don't know what happened.

·
Super Moderator
6,965 Posts
Voltage and capability of Cold Cranking Amps are two very different things ! Cranking Amps is what needs checking.

By the way the way this video says it doesnt matter which terminal you disconnect first - wrong ! On the majority of modern vehicles with a negative earth it is advisable that you disconnect the earth (negative) terminal first and when reconnecting connect the negative last.
This avoids a 'mishap' of shorting should you drop a spanner to the body or if the positive cable clamp drops down and makes contact with chassis. Many a delicate component has been 'fried' due to errors in battery connections.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Update: Battery shows at 12.40 Volts during normal estate and 13.20 volts when the car is on will all possible accessories on! I thought I would get away without buying a new battery, but now all of the sudden the car cranks but does not start!
Sometimes when you're working about testing the battery etc you wind up over an extended period with low voltage which can cause you to lose the settings between the ECU / BCM with some of the othrr modules and it's worthwhile just dosconnecting the battery for a couple of hours and charging it up then reconnect everything and see if it all resets.
You amybe want to try the fuses in the cabin fusebox (next to your left knee) in particular the one shown in the pic which I believe may be for the fuel pump otherwise check your owners handbook.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Forgot to update the outcome. Victor was spot on!!! ( as usual) Once the ECU was reset the car started straight away,

·
Registered
747 Posts
@gcmarcal it's the old adage innit, When you think hoofs think horses, not zebras. Try the simple things first. Glad ya got it fixed anyway..

·
Registered
295 Posts
The battery has been fine since the last full charge! Hopefully will be fine the next winter.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts