Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I posted thishttp://www.chevroletownersclub.co.uk/forum/oil-change-light-and-smoking-problem_topic457_post2679.html#2679concerning my experiences with my Captiva.

I am sad to report that is has now gone to a better place.

A couple of weeks ago the engine seized and is a total loss. It suffered what is known in the motor trade as engine black death. Basically the engine oil turned into a black sludge that wouldn't flow around the engine. Replacement engine £8,500!!

This was about 12,000 miles after the local main dealer changed the oil for the "correct" spec following their claim that my local mechanic was using the wrong grade.
Strange thing is that for a car that used to go into limp mode at the slightest provocation,there was no warning at all of the impending disaster.

I suspect this didn't happen overnight and so I must take part of the blame for not checking my oil level since I had it serviced. Having said thatthe EGR problems, the smoking, the rattle and the oil life light issues that two Chevrolet dealers failed to resolve, I do feel let down badly by Chevrolet themselves.
Their dealers were hopeless and their customer services people at Head Office even worse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
I hate having to use garages, being a teacher it is often frightening when a former pupil (with little skill / intelligence) says hello when he is wearing a mechanic's overall! Better luck with your next purchase wallerjaq.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Captiva, Wallerjaq, it must be extremely frustrating not to be able to pin the failure on to a responsible body.


Just looking at the previous threads on this topic concerning the oilgrade, does anyone know why the Antara uses 5w30 and the Captiva 5w40?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
997 Posts
Wallerjaq,

I have to say 12,000 miles without checking the oil was inviting disaster. I think if that's the case there is only one responsible body, and sorry to say, it's you. That's what the dipstick is for...

Iain
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Oil is the blood of your engine. Just as it would be unwise to go 12 years without a blood test, 12k without checking ones oil is indeed wrong. Sorry to hear about the problem though. Most unfortunate.Edited by: Moboy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Moboy said:
Oil is the blood of your engine. Just as it would be unwise to go 12 years without a blood test, 12k without checking ones oil is indeed wrong. Sorry to hear about the problem though. Most unfortunate.
I am almost 59 and have never had a blood test........does that mean I am about to blow up?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
evo 370 said:
I hate having to use garages, being a teacher it is often frightening when a former pupil (with little skill / intelligence) says hello when he is wearing a mechanic's overall!  Better luck with your next purchase wallerjaq.
Quite a disrespectful comment to make regarding former pupils abilities and that of mechanics. You must be proud to have such an inflated IQ to get to the level of 'teacher'!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
So daddyburns has never come across anyone that he would not mind leaving his car with? A very uncalled for and thoughtless response
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Guys lets keep to the topic and stop the bickering please.


This forum has always been respected and does provide some very useful information.



There will be times when posters make comments that when read may not read exaclty how the writer meant them.



I dont want censorship and believe we all should be allowed our own opinions, but lets try and keep insults and gibes off the board.



Thanks....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
997 Posts
Well said KL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Birdrock said:
Moboy said:
Oil is the blood of your engine. Just as it would be unwise to go 12 years without a blood test, 12k without checking ones oil is indeed wrong. Sorry to hear about the problem though. Most unfortunate.
I am almost 59 and have never had a blood test........does that mean I am about to blow up?
Probably.......
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top