Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, there i was driving home on wednesday from the beach and all of a sudden i heard a knocking from the engine and then plumes of black smoke from the exhaust.
we have ruled out the Turbo and the engine still runs, been told could be injector blown and fuel in the engine or bottom end and engine dead.

if worse case does any one have a engine in the UK they are selling mine has only done 77777 miles, or has any one else had this ?

also before this happened it was juddering every now and then which i put down to fuel.

·
Super Moderator
6,701 Posts
LN, Sorry to hear that. Have you extracted any Diagnostic Codes?
Black smoke is too much fuel and not enough air (as a simple description)
Failed injector is a possibility as is a stuck EGR valve.
Your described effects may not be 'fatal' .
Interesting reading here:-

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Edd the AA man plugged in it and blanked off the EGR but was still knocking there was a code P0487 which is EGR, soon as he heard the knocking he thought was not a diesel knock, but hopefully will find out today

·
Super Moderator
6,701 Posts
LN, I'll keep my fingers crossed for a blown injector. (although even that is expensive enough)
When my rail 'sprung a leak' at just 3,600 miles it sounded like someone rapidly hammering on the engine block with a hammer.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have had new injectors in the past 4 @ £280 each, well i am taking a bit of happiness from your post as that's what mine sounds like lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi All, there i was driving home on wednesday from the beach and all of a sudden i heard a knocking from the engine and then plumes of black smoke from the exhaust.
we have ruled out the Turbo and the engine still runs, been told could be injector blown and fuel in the engine or bottom end and engine dead.

if worse case does any one have a engine in the UK they are selling mine has only done 77777 miles, or has any one else had this ?

also before this happened it was juddering every now and then which i put down to fuel.
Hi, just in case you need any parts I have everything except the DPF and Turbo for your car. I have a complete bottom end, complete cylinder head, EGR and cooler, spare injectors and all other engine parts. If the worst case scenario happens, just let me know. Good luck, Howard.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Howard i have heard back from the garage and they are sending the injectors to be checked as they think this is the problem.

Also i do have a faulty EGR valve how much do you want i keep getting low power codes etc

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks Howard i have heard back from the garage and they are sending the injectors to be checked as they think this is the problem.

Also i do have a faulty EGR valve how much do you want i keep getting low power codes etc
Hi, I could do the complete EGR valve and cooler for £100.00 inc. postage. I haven`t separated the units to clean them as they were working perfectly on my car and I wanted to leave well enough alone. The only reason for parting out this engine is that I got offered a very low mileage complete engine for my car and so I decided to change it and use my engine for spares. Thanks, Howard.

·
Super Moderator
6,701 Posts

LN, Just make sure that the EGR is in fact the cause of low power (limp home mode).
There are numerous reasons for triggering low power.
If you are convinced EGR is the cause then Topmans availability of components could be well worth going for.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update from the garage number 4 injector is dead 1 is fine 2 and 3 are funky, sent the injectors to Marine engineering in brighton they have said no way should i have gone through 8 injectors on 77k, suggested the fuel pump is not working right pushing to much fuel through and or metal in the pump that's breaking the mesh.
@ Howard might need a fuel pump if you have a spare will let you know hopefully find out today.

·
Registered
116 Posts
update from the garage number 4 injector is dead 1 is fine 2 and 3 are funky, sent the injectors to Marine engineering in brighton they have said no way should i have gone through 8 injectors on 77k, suggested the fuel pump is not working right pushing to much fuel through and or metal in the pump that's breaking the mesh.
@ Howard might need a fuel pump if you have a spare will let you know hopefully find out today.
Hi, thanks for the update. I do have a fuel pump if you need it. £100 + £15.00 shipping. If you`re anywhere near Manchester you can pick up if you like. Just let me know.Thanks, Howard.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi, thanks for the update. I do have a fuel pump if you need it. £100 + £15.00 shipping. If you`re anywhere near Manchester you can pick up if you like. Just let me know.Thanks, Howard.
Hi, did you get your problem sorted? Was it the injectors? Thanks, Howard.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All fixed and £1800 later inc a MOT 4 new injectors fuel tank drained and cleaned, fuel pump stripped and cleaned, new fuel filters and cleaned pipes.
hopefully that's it or a going to burn it lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
All fixed and £1800 later inc a MOT 4 new injectors fuel tank drained and cleaned, fuel pump stripped and cleaned, new fuel filters and cleaned pipes.
hopefully that's it or a going to burn it lol
Wow, that`s quite a sum. If you`d contacted me I do have 4 spare injectors which may have saved you a considerable amount. Anyway, let`s hope all`s ok now and you can start to enjoy your Captiva as much as I do. Good luck, Howard.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After i bought my last injectors 2nd hand and still had the same problem thought it would be best to go for all brand new this time, thanks for the offer though

1 - 15 of 15 Posts