Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for Side Bars for my Captiva.

Seen these, usually over £500, but found them on eBay for £149 (+ posting).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHEVROLET-CAPTIVA-STAINLESS-STEEL-SIDE-BARS-STEPS-/260594410342?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3caca32366

Sellers shop (incase the listing has expired)

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/JSG-DIRECT__W0QQ_armrsZ1

They are just the ticket and are exactly the same as the Irmscher ones for over £500. I live near the seller in South Wales so visited him to see them first, and bought them off him direct, saving postage, and as he saved the eBay commision he gave me another £15 off....

He imports them from China, now whether they are Irmscher (ie. thiers are made in China too) or "rip off" copies, I dont care, as they are excellant quality and a fraction of the price....

Cheers

Kevin

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you can use a spanner then they are not difficult at all....
The step comes with 3 brackets that are bolted to the chasis. The holes are pre-drilled in the chasis. You simply bolt them in place ensuring they are bolted as tight as possible.

You then offer the bracket fixed to the side step to the chasis brackets and bolt them together.

The hardest bit is crawling under the car. Which to be honest, is why I got a friend, who owns a garage to do them, as he was able to put the car up on a ramp. But I was there when he did it, and it is as simple as I said.

Took about half and hour per step.

I'm pleased and it does give the car a beefier look.

I would suggest that any local garage, would fit them, and I wouldnt expect them to charge more the £50, add that to the price and it's still cheaper than at the dealer...

·
Registered
30 Posts
K L Richards. I saw this post and bought from the same company.

Arrived in a couple of days. Fitted easily no problem as all the fixing holes are already there.

Took about 1 hour in total. Just me under car on drive (not raised off ground). Would be even easier if car was raised.

But I did need the wife's help to hold the step up while I fixed to the first and second bracket. Once that was done it was secure enought to do on my own.

·
Registered
226 Posts
well i must be cr*p at diy!!!!

it has taken me an hour to do one side, as i had to fiddle round with the brackets etc..

and i did it on my works car park in 3 degrees!!

so tomorrow i will fit the other, now this should only take me 20 mins!!!!

i had better be carefull tonight on the way home, i dont want to roll the capty, as now it will be uneven weight distribution with having only one side bar fitted!!!

maybe i should take the bus home!!!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a word of warning for anyone (like me) who bought these side bars.

During the snow, I was getting a build up of ice and slush in the steps. I knocked it off several times, but to be honest after a while let it be, as it did no harm.

Well know all the snow has gone, I have noticed little rust marks around the end caps and a little arround the rubber step. It is only surface, as no physical corrosion has taken place. I'm sure some chrome polish can clean it up, but like all rust if it is left it will eat into the metal and become a problem.

Many many years ago, when I was a mere lad, my first car was a Chrysler Avenger. It had chrome wheel caps and bumpers which used to get rust marks. I used to use a chrome polish that cleaned the rust off brilliantly. Not sure if that polish is still around as cars dont use chrome parts like the used to.

Anyway, just a word to the wise, for anyone who bought these steps...

·
Registered
156 Posts
<div style=": -1; :; top:0; left: 0; width: 100%; height: 100px;">autosol is still available and is the ultimate chrome/ metal polish

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers lordpom, that's the stuff I used to use, couldnt remember the name.

It is great at removing rust marks off the surface.

·
Registered
156 Posts
<div style=": -1; :; top:0; left: 0; width: 100%; height: 100px;">Your Welcome Kevin, I love it its the best metal polish i know. Steve
<div style=": -1; :; top:0; left: 0; width: 100%; height: 100px;">

<div style=": -1; :; top:0; left: 0; width: 100%; height: 100px;">

<div style="display: none; background-image: url(chrome-extension://cccpiddacjljmfbbgeimpelpndgpoknn/img/cursor.png); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; position: fixed; z-index: 1000; width: 20px; height: 20px; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">

·
Registered
105 Posts
My side bars are ok but the metal covers over the brackets are showing signs of rust. Mind you theydid come from Slovinia

·
Registered
30 Posts
The only trouble I have found with mine is....unless they are perfectly clean, when you get out of the car, sometimes your trousers brush on the sidesteps and pick up the dirt/wet thats sitting on them.

Worse for the kids and missus that cant stretch their legs over them.

And doubly worse when I have been 'off road'!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the same trouble MrX. The only person benefitting from the side bars is my 4 year old Grandson. He uses them every time he gets in, lol. But for myself I too find that the bottom of my trouser leg picks up the dirt and wet. They look good and do give the car that extra bit of bling but I must admit I am considering taking them off. They were fitted from my last Captiva by the dealer. When I fitted them to the original car I used lots of Copper Ease on the bolts, I don't expect the dealer did the same and after all the snow and salt we have had I'm wondering ifI should whip the bolts out to check or just take the bars off altogether.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts